Rush Re-Broadcasts

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Feb 23 19:34:06 MST 1998

At 05:42 PM 2/23/98 -0700, Jim Nantz wrote:

>>KFI does not turn their power up at night.  I'd be interested to see a list
>>of any United States AM radio stations that broadcast in the Mega Watt
>>range - at any time of day or night.  There are reasons why stations can be
>>received at greater distances at night than during the day - increased
>>power is seldom one of them.  Under the right conditions, KFI's 50 KW is
>>quite capable of skipping all around the country.
>>
>The Failed Clown College limits all AM stations in the U.S. to 50 KW  KFI
>could make it cross country but there are several other stations that also
>broadcast on 640 KHZ. at night.

        640 KHZ is a clear channel (which are AM only), so KFI has "rights" to
that frequency at full power after dark. KDKA is another (1020 KHZ), WBT
(Charlotte) is also a clear channel powerhouse. There aren't very many
stations with these "rights", for the clear channel frequencies are limited.

John A. Quayle

"Government is *NOT* the solution to our problem........ Government is the
*PROBLEM*!"
 - Ronald Reagan, Inaugural Address, 1981