Legal Junque

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Tue Dec 14 20:50:35 MST 1999

At 02:02 PM 12/14/99 -0800, Daniel Bobke wrote:

>We have very similar new rules here in California. One of the amazing
>caveats to our new rules is that they have EXEMPTED pre-1974 vehicles >
from emissions requirements and testing!

        In Pennsylvania, it's 1970.

> For the most part, these are the most offending vehicles on the road in >
terms of belching smoke.

        Well, there's a method to the madness......in terms of road traffic, very
few cars go back that far in age. Moreover, guys like Doug and me have
fixed and/or restored such cars to factory-new condition, or sometimes even
better. Since these represent a big investment, the thinking is that these
cars are better maintained than when they first hit the road (I can vouch
that they are, for a fact).

        Finally, the automotive enthusiasts in America, feared the federal
"trading point" system, wherein a gross polluting company can turn in so
many old cars to the EPA to receive "points", rather than clean their own
emission. This led to the assemblage of a powerful lobbying group to fight
for our rights. Most car enthusiasts are also NRA members and/or gun
owners, too - about 60%.

> We also have the maximum dollar limit on repair costs, but it is
ridiculously > high (I think $400).

        That's three weeks of groceries for my house........

John Q.