Legal Junque

tommatiska TomMatiska at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Dec 16 05:58:25 MST 1999

Message text written by John Q.

>   Perhaps, so, Tom! Where, in PA. do you live?<

I live in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area in the northeast part of Pa.  I
know there were plans a few years ago to build some inspection stations,
but then newly elected Governor Ridge committed an act of common sense and
cancelled them.  More recent plans to force the used of reformulated gas
also were also  scrapped.

I'm all for clean air, but I have to side with our Governor's efforts to
control "emissions"  from the tailpipe nazis.  They are trying to impose a
"California" type solution in a region where it doesn't fit.  As Ridge
pointed out, you can stand on the Pa-Ohio border before the morning rush
and measure polution that is out of limits or marginally within limits.

Unlike California, the air that blows in from the west isn't clean ocean
air and much of the polution we contribute comes from a few million homes
with 30-40 year old fossil fuel furnaces.   Efforts to clean our air need
to be national, not regional, and not just focus on cars.   We could then
make much more progress without  going to the extremes that the tailpipe
nazis advocate.

BTW, I recently replaced the 60's vintage oilfired boiler in my house that
was 65% efficient and burned 2000 gallons a year.   The odd thing is the
same govt that is trying to overregulate my tailpipe places no such
regulations on my chimney, but did offer tax _ exemptions_  on the excess
oil I used to waste. go figure.

Tom, Pa