A Plain Outrage!

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Sun Dec 19 23:06:24 MST 1999

Declaration of Independence Not on Whitman’s List for NJ Schoolchildren

        NJ Gov. Christine Todd Whitman has caused quite a stir by opposing
an effort to require schoolchildren to memorize and recite the Declaration
of Independence. From our point of view, it’s too bad she didn’t memorize
it at some time in her life. If she had, perhaps she would understand the
Founders’ inspired vision that “We know these truths to be self-evident:
that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator, that they are
endowed with certain unalienable rights, that among these are the right to
life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

        As arguably the most pro-abortion Republican governor in the nation, one
who said President Clinton “was right” to veto the ban on partial-birth
abortions in 1996, and who vetoed the PBA ban passed by the New Jersey
Legislature (her veto was later overridden and the law is now being
considered by the courts), Mrs. Whitman now would deny the children of New
Jersey the opportunity to commit to memory one of our nation’s most sacred
documents.

        Could it be because the Declaration speaks so eloquently of the
fundamental, individual right to life? Recent attempts by Whitman to
sanitize her record on partial-birth abortion should not be taken
seriously. Apparently, she wants to be considered for a vice-presidential
nomination or a cabinet position should a Republican win the White House in
2000. She is visiting the
talk shows, claiming that her conditional veto of the PBA ban would have
banned all late-term abortions but would have included a health of the
mother exception. Everyone familiar with this issue knows that a “health”
exception renders the ban meaningless because under the Doe v. Bolton the
1973 companion decision to Roe v. Wade, “health” means the mother’s
psychological, emotional, familial and the woman’s age,  as well as
physical well-being. Governor Christine Todd Whitman is pro-abortion to the
core.  Don’t forget that.