Festive 'Nog, Grog & Figgy Puddin'......

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Wed Dec 22 00:26:58 MST 1999

To subscribe to this list,
http://www.breakpoint.org/transcripts.taf

BreakPoint Commentary #91221 - 12/21/1999
O Come All Ye Shoppers: The Commercialization of Christmas
by Charles Colson

It was Christmas Eve, and the first of fourteen
thousand townspeople began streaming through the
building's huge double doors. A beam of light shone
down from above, as though from heaven itself,
highlighting an elaborate Nativity scene. Marble
angels gazed down upon the largest pipe organ in the
world. As people settled into their seats, the
organist struck a chord and led the crowd in singing
the first hymn: "O Come, All Ye Faithful."

Does this sound like a Christmas Eve service at a
1990s' megachurch? If you said "yes," you guessed
wrong. This spectacular Christmas celebration took
place, not in a church at all, but in a department
store. It was an annual attraction that drew
shoppers to the leading Philadelphia department
store, Wanamaker's, from the 1910s to the 1950s.
And it illustrates how America's Christmas
consumerism has some of its roots, ironically, in
our own Protestant tradition.

As strange as it may seem today, Christmas was not
always treated as a holiday in America. In the
seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, few Americans
really celebrated Christmas. Influenced by their
Puritan heritage, Congregationalists, Presbyterians,
Baptists, and Methodists viewed Christmas Day with
suspicion, regarding it as a Roman Catholic invention
with dubious origins. The emphasis on the Nativity,
they believed, grew out of devotion to Mary.

For example, in 1659 the Massachusetts General Court
outlawed the celebration of Christmas. In the 1770s a
Presbyterian teacher described Christmas as being
"like other Days, in every Way calm & temperate.
People go about their daily business with the same
Readiness." Even as late as the 1880s Methodists
insisted that Christmas was simply a day of family
reunions and good works. "We attach no holy
significance to the day," a Methodist publication
boasted.

Protestant reluctance to celebrate Christmas had one
major side effect. In his book Consumer Rites,
Princeton professor Leigh Eric Schmidt writes that
keeping Christmas off the Church calendar helped pave
the way for its inclusion in the secular calendar.
While clergy downplayed Christmas, businessmen and
department store magnates like John Wanamaker stepped
in where angels feared to tread, fostering the
celebration of Christmas in the marketplace instead
of the church. As Schmidt put it, Christmas became
"one more market day, a profane time of work and
trade."

For some of us, this is shocking news.  Could the roots
of Christmas consumerism be in our own tradition?
Well, history suggests that Christmas became such
a commercialized holiday, in part, because
Protestants did not make it a holy day.

Of course, the celebration of Christmas in the
marketplace is not all-bad. Many of us delight in
shopping in stores decked with boughs of holly while
listening to Yuletide carols as we select gifts for
our friends and families.

So if we're partly responsible, let's make up for it.
Instead of just griping about the commercialization of
Christmas, let's do something about it.  Let's make
up for our past errors by filling our churches this
Christmas. If we present to the world a worshipping
community, they'll be drawn to the real thing--not a
manufactured substitute.  If our candle-lit Churches
and Cathedrals are full of Christians living in real
harmony and love, then nothing in those
glittering shopping malls can possibly compare.

Because there, in the community of faith, we can
fully grasp the significance of our Savior's birth.
And nothing gives us more cause for joyous
celebration than that.

Copyright (c) 1999 Prison Fellowship Ministries

"BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" ("BreakPoint") is a
daily commentary on news and trends from a Christian
perspective.  Heard on more than 425 radio stations
nationwide, BreakPoint transcripts are also available
on the Internet.  If you know of others who would
enjoy receiving BreakPoint in their E-mail box each
day, tell them they can sign up on our Web site at
www.breakpoint.org.  If they do not have access to
the World Wide Web, please call 1-800-457-6125.

BREAKPOINT EDITORIAL STAFF

Executive Editor: Jim Nelson Black, Ph.D.
Managing Editor: Anne Morse
Associate Editor: Roberto Rivera
Research Associate: Kim Robbins
Research Associate-Assistant Editor: Douglas C. Minson
Production Manager: Lori Whaley
Administrator: David Carlson
List Maintainer: Larry Wilson
Customer Service: Dennis Rayburn
Website Content Manager: John Shaw

Copyright notice:  BreakPoint may be copied and re-
transmitted by electronic mail, and individual copies
of a particular BreakPoint E-mail transcript may be
printed, provided that such copying, re-transmission,
printing, or other use is not for profit or other
commercial purpose.  However, BreakPoint may NOT be
reproduced in any form on the World Wide Web or in
broadcast media, print media or other media without
express written permission.  Prison Fellowship
Ministries considers requests to reprint, transmit,
or otherwise reproduce BreakPoint (or portions
thereof) in broadcast, print, or other media on a
case-by-case basis; please contact Prison Fellowship
Ministries at 1-800-457-6125 to submit a request.

Any copying, re-transmission, distribution, printing,
or other use of BreakPoint must set forth the
following credit line, in full, at the conclusion of
the portion of BreakPoint that is used:

Copyright (c) 1999 Prison Fellowship Ministries.  Reprinted
with permission. "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" is a radio
ministry of Prison Fellowship Ministries.

Prison Fellowship Ministries(R) may withdraw or modify this
grant of permission at any time.

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT.  THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN FINAL
FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

http://www.breakpoint.org/
http://www.pfm.org/
http://www.angeltree.org/