Violence Against Umpires

Thu Dec 23 00:39:00 MST 1999

I'm not sure how many of you caught that abuse of a NFL referee, when I
believe it was a Cleveland Browns player was struck in the eye with a
referee's yellow hanky, which irritated his tender eye, at which time he
basically walks in the general direction of the umpire and blocks him to
the ground, onto his back, which I'm not sure if that caused injury or
not, but I would be surprised it it didn't cause some type of back or
spinal injury.  I haven't heard if there has been a hearing to determine
what type of punishment should be metted out, but if I were the
commisoner of the NFL, this overgrown behomoth, would be given a two year
suspension from the NFL and an extremely heavy fine.

What do you believe should be the penalty?

Richard