Violence Against Umpires

Pam Charles bluecalyptus at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 23 17:58:50 MST 1999

--- Dennis Putnam <dap1 at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:

> At 06:56 PM 12/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >None of this nonesense surprizes me. I have seen
> big,
> >dumb, stupid jocks pampered from junior high on up.
> >They get special treatment all the time, and some
> of
> >these arrogant troglodites literally believe they
> are
> >above us hoi polloi. The brute was just doing his
> >brutish thing, like a bigger animal picking on a
> >smaller one.
> >
> >  SNIP
>
> This was my immediate reaction until I received
> further information.
> It seems that the ref intentionally threw that flag
> in Orlando
> Brown's face. Of course he did not intentionally try
> to hit his eye
> but apparently it is common for refs to throw flags
> at players. In
> this case Brown was not the player charged with the
> penalty but he
> had the flag thrown at him anyway. Brown also has a
> family history of
> eye problems and his father was blind as result of
> cataracts or
> glyocoma. Brown is understandably sensitive to eye
> injuries inflicted
> unnecessarily. The Dr.s are not sure if Brown will
> suffer permanent
> vision imparement.

Hi Dennis. I'm first to admit that I don't keep up
with sports in general. And I also make no bones about
my overall assessment of athletes, especially
professional ones. I don't like 'em very much.

As to the eye-conscious football player, I can only
say that I'd hate to be the driver at night who
forgets to drop the high beams if he's out there
driving around too!

> I am not trying to excuse Brown's behavior as there
> is no excuse for
> what he did. However, he is not exactly the monster
> originally
> portrayed. In a fit of panic he lost control of his
> temper and should
> suffer the consequences. However, it seems to me
> that if one throws a
> BB filled hanky in someones face it is forseeable
> that an eye injury
> could occur.

I've got!  Lets require Murf hankies in the NFL!

This meets the legal definition of
> negligence and a
> decent lawyer could win a suit against the ref in
> Brown's favor. That
> still would not mean the ref would lose a counter
> suit against Brown
> for simple battery.
>
> Things are never as simple as they seem.

Not even simple batteries? Hee hee.

Pam, who wants her Quarter Back!