In case anyone was wondering

Jim Nantz jnantz at STUDENT.GC.MARICOPA.EDU
Thu Dec 23 20:20:17 MST 1999

I'm sure we've all know how on christmas eve they always make a big deal
on the news how Norad is looking for Santa.  Just now I read in the
Daily Telegraph how this got started.  From the December 24 1999 issue:

"Norad began tracking the sleigh in 1955 after a department store
publicised a "Santa hotline" and accidentally gave the telephone number
of the early-warning system's operations room. Rather than disappoint
children, commanders offered to look on their radar for signs of Santa
Claus. This year, children can follow Santa Claus's progress live on the
Internet."