Aaron Blasts Rocker

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Tue Dec 28 22:19:00 MST 1999

>> In the magazine story, Rocker was quoted in a searing assault on New
York City and its diversity in a rambling discourse that ignited a public
furor
>>and prompted a sharp rebuke from Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.
>>
>> "Imagine having to take the (No.) 7 train to the ballpark, looking like
>>you're (riding through) Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to
>>some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for
>>the fourth time, next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids," the
>>magazine quoted Rocker as saying.
>>
>> "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners," he
>>reportedly said. "I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an
>>entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. >>
Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and >> Spanish
people and everything up there. How the hell did they get into this >>
country?"

At 11:51 AM 12/28/99 -0500, Gary Freitag wrote:
>Merry Christmas all!

        And to you, Gary......

>I must admit, as I was reading the quote I was thinking to myself, these
>are some of the reasons I don't live in NYC.

        Likewise.......

> I like the homogeneity of smaller town life, where things are predictable
and > you don't have to be on edge (from a type of culture shock). I've
spent time > in some major American cities, and while I can appreciate
those who love
> it, and the opportunities it affords immigrants, it would drive me nuts.

        I enjoy the accessibility of things at all hours - NYC's only saving
grace.......well, that and the cultural events. However, the populace
resembles a freak sideshow anymore. Seeing people with multiple body
piercings simply nauseates me beyond words!

John Q.