WS>>Things That Drive Me Crazy

Carl W. Spitzer IV 75313.2601 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Mon Feb 1 09:45:48 MST 1999

                        www.WorldNetDaily.com
                          DECEMBER 31, 1998

                      Things That Drive Me Crazy
                     Llewellyn H.  Rockwell, Jr.

     Life just seems to get better and better, but there are some
     things that still drive me crazy.  They should be  abolished
     in 1999.

      1)  Politically  correct traffic signs: A new "yield"  sign
          went up in crosswalks around town that is as complicat-
          ed  as  a multi- frame comic strip.   It  features  the
          conventional walking person on a yellow background, but
          so  as not to offend the disabled, also a picture of  a
          guy in a wheelchair.

          Did  the sign maker think cars would stop for a  pedes-
          trian,  but  run  over a guy in a  wheelchair?  Not  to
          ignore  the visually impaired lobby, the sign  features
          yet another image of a man and a seeing-eye dog.

          There's  no  chance a driver could take  this  all  in.
          This is leftist politics masquerading as safety.

      2)  National  Public Radio's NASA coverage: Why  does  this
          federal propaganda arm think listeners want to hear Bob
          Edwards  read  press releases from  the  most  wasteful
          government agency, day after day after day?

          It's  especially bad when one of those  space  contrap-
          tions  is shot up in the air, spewing taxpayer  dollars
          out its end.  We get every detail, from how the weather
          will affect the timing of the landing to how the  space
          clowns slept last night.

      3)  Paper coffee cups: Fancy shops think nothing of  charg-
          ing  4 bucks for a cup of coffee, and serving it  in  a
          burn-your-hand  paper  cup.   Yet decades  ago,  a  new
          invention had already solved the problem of hot  bever-
          ages.   It's  called Styrofoam,  but  some  eco-crazies
          announced  to the world that this miracle substance  is
          hard on Mother Earth (they've since been proven wrong).
          Demand Styrofoam!

          When  the lady gives you a lecture on the  environment,
          demand  4  more  paper cups so your  hand  won't  burn.
          Perhaps if we all do this, we'll take care of an annoy-
          ing  social  problem.  By the way, how  have  Styrofoam
          takeout boxes escaped the green gestapo?

      4)  PC  movies:  You go to a movie to be  entertained,  not
          lectured by left-wing puritans.  "A Bug's Life" is  the
          model.   Instead, most movies are riddled  with  absurd
          claims  about the evil of corporations,  the  religious
          right,  the South, and white men in  general.   Casting
          can be particularly absurd, as when all nuclear  physi-
          cists  and mathematical geniuses are played  by  actors
          chosen for affirmative-action reasons.

      5)  The  political  left:  They  tell  us  they're  against
          "sexual harassment" in the workplace.  Then they defend
          the Harasser-in-Chief because he promotes their statist
          agenda.   They  tell us they're for peace.   Then  they
          root for a bloody war in hopes that it will distract us
          from their hero's hypocrisy.  They tell us they're  for
          privacy,  then they attempt to reconstruct our  private
          thoughts on every conceivable topic, from religion,  to
          race, to sex.  They should get their story straight  or
          shut up.

      6)  Republicans leaders: It's generally true that the lead-
          ers  of any ideological movement stand to the  left  of
          the  grass roots, for reasons I've never been  able  to
          discover.  But within Republican circles, this tendency
          is turned into a hard-core principle.

          Most Republicans I know want to abolish the income tax,
          de-fund  the executive branch, restore states'  rights,
          and  otherwise  torch  Washington,  D.C..   Republicans
          leaders,  on the other hand, seem to think  their  main
          job  is  to  keep the passions of the  grass  roots  in
          check.

      7)  Sanctions:  Thanks to a Chicago group called Voices  in
          the  Wilderness, some Iraqi children got  medicine  and
          toys  this  Christmas.   But guess  what?  The  Clinton
          administration is threatening them with fines and jail.
          The  framers  were adamant: we should have  trade  with
          all, and entangling alliances with none.

          Sanctions  enabled the communists to come to  power  in
          South  Africa,  continue  to prop up  Castro  in  Cuba,
          brought  about a permanent state of war with Iraq,  and
          empower the Clinton regime to crack down on good people
          trying to do the right thing.  Down with all  sanctions
          everywhere.

      8)  The  U.S.   flag: Yes, Old Glory.  Once  it  stood  for
          freedom.  But did you notice when the FBI planted it in
          the  ashes  at Waco? The flag has become  a  symbol  of
          government tyranny.

          Just  to make a point, I'd like to see more  flying  of
          state  and  local  flags.  In my  town,  popular  flags
          include  seasonal ones with happy snowmen and  magnolia
          blossoms,  and banners with the school mascot on  them.
          That's  much better.  And shame on the Justice  Depart-
          ment  for attempting to demonize that grand  emblem  of
          liberty, the "Don't Tread on Me" flag.

      9)  Lawsuits: The White House has taken it on the chin this
          year, accelerating a much needed decline in the  status
          of the presidency in American life.  But sadly,  judges
          seem  more powerful than ever.  Judicial precedent  has
          turned every complaining employee and customer into  an
          agent  of  the central state, lording it  over  private
          institutions at every turn.

          There's a way around this, until we can impeach all the
          judges: stop filing lawsuits.  Real Americans use  pri-
          vate  arbitration  if they have a conflict  with  their
          neighbor.

     10)  Middle  East news: We interrupt this program  to  bring
          you  an urgent news bulletin: the peace  process,  it's
          on, it's off, it's on again, it's off again.  How  long

          have  these  people  been fighting  each  other?  3,000
          years? They'll probably fight another few thousand, but
          it doesn't affect the rest of us.  Leave them alone  to
          sort  it  out.  By the way,  has  anything  interesting
          happened in, say, Belgium, in the last decade?

          Aside from these things, and a few others I'll think of
          later,  I'm  having  a very happy new  year,  and  look
          forward to a wonderful 1999.

     Llewellyn H.  Rockwell, Jr.  is president of the Ludwig  von
     Mises Institute in Auburn, Alabama.<rockwell at mail.mises.org>