flag burning ammendment

Pam Charles bluequill at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 1 22:27:27 MDT 1999

Jim Nantz <jnantz at STUDENT.GC.MARICOPA.EDU> writes:

>The congress is at it again with this flag burning ammendment thing.
>What do you think?  Should it be illegal for you to burn a flag that you
>own?  Of course if you burn someone else's flag the cops can get you for
>burning someone else's stuff.

At first blush, I thought that it is trivializing to the Constitution to add
such "Feel Good" ammendments to it.  It smacks of the kind of emotionalism
that hallmark the crocodile tear elitist leftist.

But then .... when I think of the tearful anguish expressed at The Wall by
those gallant men who were mere boys when they sacrificed so much for an
oft-times ungrateful nation ..... when I think of the grizzled old Korean
and WWII veterans who shed tears of rememberance for their fallen comrades
as Old Glory passes by in parades ..... when I think of the horrors of the
Somme, of Gettysburg (and so many others) ..... of Valley Forge ..... when I
hear taps ..... or see even a photograph of the Iwo Jima flag raising ....
well, then I get it.

Maybe we should go ahead and do this afterall. Maybe then some of that stink
of the unwashed spitting coward crowd (who were especially so vile and
spiteful and treacherous to the Vietnam era vets) can finally be blown away
by the fresh breeze that unfurls those glorious colors.

Yeah, I've come around on it.  Let's do it.

In gratitude to America's soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and all vets
who honorably served, I am Pam