Short Essay "Remember Me?"

Rob H. robh at KCI.NET
Sat Jul 3 01:04:42 MDT 1999

Hi All,

Well it is that time of the year again for us to celebrate our Independence
Day (one of my favorite holidays, BTW!)  While I like to be patriotic
year-round, I thought it would be appropriate to send out the old favorite
"REMEMBER ME?"  Hope you enjoy it and have a great 4th!!!

Rob

Remember Me?
------------

Some people call me "OLD GLORY", others call me the STAR
SPANGLED BANNER", but whatever they call me, I am YOUR
flag, the flag of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I remember some time ago people lined up to watch parades and
naturally, I was always there, proudly waving in the breeze.

When your daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his
hat and placed it over his heart.  REMEMBER?  And you, I
remember you standing there street as a soldier.  You didn't have
a hat but you were giving the right salute.

What happened?  I'm still the same old flag.  Oh, I have added
a few more stars, and a lot more blood has been shed since those
parades of long ago.  But I don't feel as proud as I used to.  When
I come down your street, you just stand there with your hands in
your pockets.

I see the children running around and shouting.  They don't seem
to know who I am.  I saw one man take off hid hat and look
around.  He didn't see anybody else with his hat off, so he quickly
put his back on.  Have you forgotten where I've been?  Anzio,
Normandy, Guadalcanal, Korea, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf.

Take a look at the memorial honor rolls sometime.  Look at the
names of those who never came back in order to keep this republic
free. When you salute me, YOU ARE ACTUALLY SALUTING
THEM.

Well, it won't be long until I'll be coming down your street again.
So, when you see me, stand straight, place your right hand over
your hearts.  I'll salute you by waving back.  And I'll know that
YOU REMEMBERED.

robh at kci.net
http://www.kci.net/~robh
JAIL TO THE CHIEF!