FW: flag burning ammendment

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Sun Jul 4 21:00:31 MDT 1999

At 12:57 AM 7/4/99 -0400, Dudly D. Doright wrote:
>Count this vet against the amendment also.  I would rather give some
>a**hole a knuckle  sandwitch for burning the flag.
>
>DD

        Here is another take on the subject.......JAQ:

Burn that Flag!
Just ask permission...
by Tom Adkins

        Does the first Amendment gives us the right to desecrate the American
flag? Or is the flag a sacred symbol of our nation, deserving protection by
law?
Tough call?

I think I've got the solution.

        For those who want to light Old Glory on fire, stomp all over it, or spit
on it to make some sort of "statement," I say let them do it. But under one
condition: they must get permission from three sponsors. First, you need
permission of a war veteran. Perhaps a Marine who fought at Iwo Jima?

        The American flag was raised over Mount Surabachi upon the bodies of
thousands of dead buddies. Each night spent on Iwo meant half of everyone you
knew would be dead tomorrow, a coin flip away from a bloody end upon a patch
of sand your mother couldn't find on a map.

        Or maybe ask a Vietnam vet who spent years tortured in a small, filthy
cell unfit for a dog. Or a Korean War soldier who helped rescue half a
nation from communism, or a Desert Storm warrior who repulsed a bloody
dictator from raping and pillaging an innocent country.

        That flag represented your mother and father, your sister and brother,
your friends, neighbors, and everyone at home. I wonder what they would say
if someone asked them permission to burn the American flag?

        Next, you need a signature from an immigrant. Their brothers and sisters
may still languish in their native land, often under tyranny, poverty and
misery. Or maybe they died on the way here, never to touch our shores. Some
have seen friends and family get tortured and murdered by their own
government for daring to do things we take for granted every day.

        For those who risked everything simply for the chance to become an
American ... what kind of feelings do they have for the flag when they pledge
allegiance the first time? Go to a naturalization ceremony and see for
yourself, the tears of pride, the thanks, the love and respect of this
nation, as they finally embrace the American flag as their own.

Ask one of them if it would be OK to tear up the flag.

        Last, you should get the signature of a mother. Not just any mother. You
need a mother of someone who gave their life for America. It doesn't even
have to be from a war. It could be a cop. Or a fireman. Maybe a Secret
Service or NSA agent. Then again, it could be a common foot soldier as
well. When that son or daughter is laid to rest, their family is given one
gift by the American
people; an American flag.

Go on. I dare you. Ask that mother to spit on her flag.
-
        I wonder what the founding fathers thought of the American flag as they
drafted the Declaration of Independence? They knew this act would drag young
America into war with England, the greatest power on earth. They also knew
failure meant more than just a disappointment. I meant a noose snugly
stretched around their necks. But they needed a symbol, something to inspire
the new nation. Something to represent the seriousness, the purpose and
conviction that we held our new idea of individual freedom. Something worth
living for. Something worth dying for.

        I wonder how they'd feel if someone asked them permission to toss their
flag in a mud puddle? Away from family, away from the precious shores of
home, in the face of overwhelming odds and often in the face of death, the
American flag inspires those who believe in the American dream, the
American promise, the American vision...

        Americans who don't appreciate the flag don't appreciate this nation. And
those who appreciate this nation appreciate the American flag.

Those who fought, fought for that flag.

Those who died, died for that flag.

        And those who love America love that flag. And defend it. So if you want
to desecrate the American flag, before you spit on it or before you burn it
... I have a simple request. Just ask permission. Not from the
Constitution. Not from some obscure law. Not from the politicians or the
pundits.

        Instead, ask those who defended our nation so that we may be free today.
Ask those who struggled to reach our shores so that they may join us in the
American dream. And ask those who clutch a flag in place of their sacrificed
sons and daughters, given to this nation so that others may be free.

        For we cannot ask permission from those who died wishing they could, just
once ... or once again ... see, touch or kiss the flag that stands for our
nation, the United States of America ... the greatest nation on earth.