Let me run this by you all

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Thu Jul 8 21:31:38 MDT 1999

At 10:29 PM 7/8/99 -0400, Susan Correll wrote:

>I hope I'm not jabbering on too much. Let me know if I am.

        <LOL!!!> Don't worry, Susan, we *LOVE* jabbering! It shows where your mind
is coming from, knowwhutahmean?

>Anyway, I happen (believe it or not) to work for the AIDS Division of the
>State Department of Health. Funny, eh? Anyway, I ran across a piece of
>literature today which was attempting to convince injection drug users (the
>fastest growing segment of AIDS patients to date), to find an alternative
>to injecting. They suggested inhaling or some "other method" which I won't
>go into here.

        Oh, okay......I think I know where you were going here.

>Can you believe this?

        I really can........

> I don't suppose some mental giant ever thought of locking these people up
> until they stop?

        For the majority, it probably won't have any impact on them. Depends on
the substance they are "running up". Smack? The "big 'H' "? Nearly any drug
can be adapted to shooting up.

> Believe me, I've read literature on smoking and how it is harder to quit
than > heroin.

        Depends on your "personality", from all I've read.

> I'm not sure I believe that, but quitting was pretty hard for me.

        For you, yes, but for others, it might not be. For me, it was simply "see
ya around." That was it......finito. Quit drinking alcohol just as easy,
too. I didn't taper-off, didn't use a substitution, nada.

> Yes, I was an addicted smoker about 6 years ago. But, I quit cold turkey.
No > patch, no gum. Just no more cigarettes.

        That is the *ONLY* way to fly!

>  Maybe those druggies out there should give that a try.

        First of all, they *MUST* be determined and if you lock them up, that may
kill their resolve/incentive. Gotta see, first, how they tick.

>Sue - still a newbie

John
Still a "don't-bie"     ;o)