baaaaaaaaaa

WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU
Fri Jul 9 15:40:04 MDT 1999

From:   NAME: Bill White
        FUNC: HUMANITIES
        TEL: 326/371                          <WHITE, BILL AT A1 AT JCCV03>
To:     IN%"rushtalk at athena.csdco.com"@MRGATE at JCCW22

Jim wrote:
>I just heard this on the Fox News Channel.  Bubba announced he is going
to impose a 9% import tax on sheep meat imported from Australia and New
Zealand.  The 9% tax applies to curent levels of imports.  If imports go
up above current levels the extra will be hit with a 40% tax.  The
Australians are of course upset.  Fox interviewed an Australian diplomat
who says Australian sheep ranchers aren't subsidized by the government.
He also said it wasn't fair to the Australian producers and isn't fair
to the American consumers who will pay more.  Fox also said Bubba also
wants to give American sheep producers $100 million.  He says this
program is only temporary and the extra tax and the money will end after
3 years.

This doesn't bother me since I don't eat (or do anything else with)
sheep.  It still gets me p****d.  If American sheep farmers can't make
it on their own then let them go bankrupt.<

        I read your post just as I was phoning the butcher to have about four
sheep slaughtered, dressed, and packaged.  Some for a customer; some for my
own table.  What timing.  Most of my farming days are behind me, but I still
dabble.  I do believe the government has a legitimate roll in protecting the
viability of a nation's agriculture.  To what extent is probably a three-beer
discussion.

Bill