women's soccer

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Jul 12 14:58:26 MDT 1999

At 07:58 AM 7/12/99 -0700, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

[snippity-doo-dah:]

>After reading these posts I can't figure out exactly what it is that ticks
>people off. is it the fact that so many people were excited by the > game?

        But *WHY*?!? Why now?!? In the '60s, my friends and I were ambivalent (at
best) about soccer. In my job, I recently talked to a supplier (in the San
Diego area) who, in his late 40s said "I love the game and wish it had been
around when I was a kid."

        Well, guess what? It *WAS* around!

>Is it the fact that it was women who won?

        Not at all........I'm glad they won. Even more glad they whupped Chinese
butts!

> Is it the fact that the United States won?

        Be *SERIOUS*!!!

>  Is is because the game didn;t originate in the United States?

        Perhaps, but that is a minescule and ancillary issue.

>I never realized in all the years I have been watching soccer that it had
a political leaning. I always watched it on its own merit. I just never had
>any idea that one's political beliefs could be determined by the sports >
he or she likes.

        Stephen, you must understand that soccer, all of a sudden, has become de
riguer among the "beautiful people". I mean, the game has been around for
several centuries, for pete's sakes!

        Label me a kook, but I'm wondering about CIA mind-control experiments in
the '50s.......what would be the motivation? Just a test, to see if their
manipulation is working correctly. If I'm correct, then subsequent
manipulating will become darker and more insidious.

        If I'm *WRONG*, however, I'm simply a kook!

For Kookdom,

John Q.