women's soccer

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Jul 12 17:43:00 MDT 1999

At 02:35 PM 7/12/99 -0700, Jim Nantz wrote:

>I really am not into sports. I agree with Pam that far too many of them
>are overpaid, oversexed, spoiled brats who never really grew up.

        Very true, although you can eliminate the names "Mark McGwire" and "Sammy
Sosa" from the list. Although he's retired now, Robin Cole (former Steeler)
is also a super individual - I worked his recent campaign for County
Commissioner. Mario Lemieux lives nearby and from what I've heard, is an
outstanding guy to know.

> I certainly wouldn't wany my kid (if I had one) looking up to one of these
>slimeballs. I guess the only reason they should be looked up to (IMHO)
>is that they have put a lot of time and effort into getting as good at
>their sport as they have done.

        Good point and that's why I looked up to alot of players in the '60s. Met
a childhood hero by name of Donn Clendenon a couple of Novembers ago and
really a swell guy.

>Let's face it. It takes a lot of effort to make it to the major leagues,
into the NFL > or the NBA. You don't get there by sitting around watching
the game on tv.

        *EXCELLENT POINT*, Jim! Many kids today have either never learned that,
or believe they will be the exceptions to the rule.

John Q.