Hello

Ray Thomas raythomas101 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 21 09:40:12 MDT 1999

Dennis (Jr):

Welcome. I'm a good speller and still manage to misspel things from time to
time. There are others on the list who aren't great spellers, either.

I was a good speller because I knew at the age of 7 what I wanted to do with
my life (sign painter) and knew I would need to know how to spell.
Unfortunately I wasn't so wise when it came to math, and was a lousy math
student. But my dad, who didn't even finish 8th grade, had a book he had
used to supplement his math skills when HE realized that he would need a lot
more math than he had. It was called: "Math Simplified." I got it, read it,
and now have math skills far superior to many of today's high school
graduates.

This book was part of a "Simplified" series I think is still published, and
I'm sure they have one called: "Spelling Simplified," which can probably
help you to improve your spelling skills. It can probably be obtained at any
library or, if you want your own copy, you can get the publisher information
out of the book at the library and they'll tell you where. You could also
check in large bookstores such as Waldenbooks, which have a large enough
stock to carry it.

Failing that, if your email program has a "Spell Check," use it on every
email.

Another sneaky trick would be to keep a blank Microsoft Word (or other WP
program) file open and do all your email text in it, run the spell check
there, then copy & paste it into the email form. Microsoft Word does
spelling and syntax checks as you type and will catch most errors unless it
doesn't recognize them as errors. It puts a little red jagged line under the
misspelled word. You right-click on that and it will present you with
alternatives, and the proper spelling of your word will usually be on top.
Just left-click that and the correction will be made.

I notice you don't do one of the things that iritates me a lot: refusing to
capitalize where you should. I wish others would do that. Maybe it's me, but
a message in all lower case OR in all caps gives me a "negative" feeling and
is more difficult to read.

At any rate, I'm glad you realize your shortcomings and want to do something
about it. By the way: it's not too late to get and use "Hooked on Phonics."
I understand it's a fun game. If you have children you could play it
together and BOTH become better spellers. I'm thinking about getting it for
my grandchildren.

RAY THOMA$
PO Box 16247, Denver, CO 80216-0247
Phone: 720-351-3674
To visit any of my web sites or subscribe to any of my newsletters or
discussion lists, go to my personal web site at:
http://www.angelfire.com/co2/RayThomas and click on the appropriate link.
Lots of new articles in "Information Central.

They are:
The "Forced Altruism Scam" web site
The "Forced Altruism" List
The "Child Protector Watch" site or newsletter
The "Stay Alive Longer" web site
The "Beyond Common Sense" online newsletter
The "Simple Web Sites" Design site.

"Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"
                   Doug Quirmbach, Moderator
                   The Awakening Lions List