Taxes

Dennis Putnam, Jr. dput at BELLSOUTH.NET
Thu Jul 22 17:51:10 MDT 1999

I'm all for a national sales tax.  You would only be taxed when you
bought goods.  However, I'm not sure you should tax food and clothing.
These are really two basic needs for survival, well food more so than
clothing.  So the rich would pay more than the poor since they can buy
more goods and services.  Now don't get me wrong here I'm not saying
stick it to the rich, but they usually have more expensive stuff and
thus would end up paying more taxes.  A national sales tax would be more
of a voluntary tax if you didn't tax food and clothing.

Now as far as the drug problem goes I think it should be legalized.  I
know I'll get flamed for saying that, but what we are doing right now is
not working.  We pump billions and billions of money into fighting the
war on drugs and where has it gotten us?  You legalize and then tax the
hell out of it.  Now I'm not saying that this is the answer to the
problem, but what we are doing right now isn't either.  We have to try
something new and I think this may be the answer.   Alcohol and nicotine
are legal, but pot isn't.  That doesn't make any sense to me when
alcohol and nicotine are far worse and more addictive than marijuana.

Dennis Putnam, Jr.