It's the weather stupid

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Jul 26 17:16:47 MDT 1999

At 06:59 PM 7/26/99 -0400, Dennis Putnam wrote:

>At 01:57 PM 7/26/99 -0700, Jim Nantz wrote:
>>
>>If this were even remotely possible the lights would have to be so
>>bright that the neighbors would have complained about the bright
>>lights.  Also it seems to me it would be against FAA regs to have
>>lights so bright they would blind a pilot.
>>

>It is worse then that. Light intensity decreases proportional to the
>square of the distance. The plane was far enough away from the
>landing strip that it would have required more lumens then have been
>manufactured by all the lighting equipment companies since Thomas
>Edison. Then again that might explain the NYC blackout. The power
>required would have blacked out all of North America.

        *EXACTLY*!!! This was my point......it's obvious, whomever authored such
silliness never sat down and properly thought out whether this scenario
would even be possible.

        Yet, folks are out there in cyberland, gobbling up this kind of drivel!
C'mon.........as a nation, are we *THAT* bloody stupid?!?

        Speaking of weather, you folks out west may not know it, but there's a
right nasty drought snaking up the eastern seaboard. It stretches from
Indiana to Rhode Island. As my keystone comrades Susan and Jose will
attest, Pennsylvania's governor (Tom Ridge) has declared a state of
emergency. All "non-essential" water usage will fetch a fine from $200 on up.

        Are there any Constitutional scholars who want to chew on the legality of
this one? In my mind, so long as a customer is paying for the water, he/she
has a right to use it. Since Ridge is a single person, he has basically
made a fascist declaration and therefore, is abusing his power.

        All car washes in the 55 counties affected, are still permitted to
operate. A caller to a comments portion of a local TV newscast asked why
this was still allowed to happen. Apparently, alot of people are extremely
ignorant of the process of capitalism - a scary thought, when you consider
these people also vote.

        Any thoughts/comments?

John Q.