Will Microsoft Bite The Breakup Dust?

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Sat Nov 6 14:55:31 MST 1999

At 08:50 PM 11/5/99 EST, Richard A Whitenight wrote:

>Well, now it's just a matter of waiting to see if this Judge will break
>up Microsoft. Do you feel his initial findings were correct, and do you
>feel Microsoft should face the cutting block?

        First of all, folks, let's realize one thing.......when Standard Oil was
"forced" to break up, it was pure theatre. J.D. Rockefeller remained in
control of all ten resulting companies. Their Boards of Directors were all
run by a single, interlocking Directorate. Many of the ten have re-merged,
such as Atlantic-Richfield with American Oil Company.

        That being said, I cannot see where Microsoft has anything even close to
what ol' Rocky had at the turn of the century. Alternative choices for OS
software are becoming more and more common, as people become more familiar
with PCs. Ten years ago, you would not have seen things such as Linux,
being used in a normal business environment. The more familiar and
better-trained the workforce gets, the more options will flourish.

        The judge has a head full of marshmallow creme. It was a very bad decision.

JAQ