Millennium

Jack Tomsky jtomsky at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat Jan 1 15:04:43 MST 2000

   The U. S. Naval Observatory maintains the Master Clock for the United
States.  The following statement concerning the millennium date is from
their web site, http://www.usno.navy.mil/.

 When Is the New Millennium?
 mil*len*ni*um \ \ n, pl -nia or -niums: a period of 1000 years

 The end of the second millennium and the beginning of the third will be
reached on January 1, 2001. This date is
 based on the now globally recognized Gregorian calendar, the initial
epoch of which was established by the
 sixth-century scholar Dionysius Exiguus, who was compiling a table of
dates of Easter. Rather than starting with
 the year zero, years in this calendar begin with the date January 1, 1
Anno Domini (AD). Consequently, the next
 millennium does not begin until January 1, 2001 AD.

   I actually expected that come crunch time, the media would admit
their mistake.  If I could locate the official millennium date, why
can't the media?  Whatever happened to fact-based journalism?

   Jack