Millennium

tommatiska TomMatiska at COMPUSERVE.COM
Sun Jan 2 06:51:51 MST 2000

Message text written by  The U. S. Naval Observatory

>> The end of the second millennium and the beginning of the third will be
>>reached on January 1, 2001. This date is  based on the now globally
>> recognized Gregorian calendar, the initial epoch of which was
established
>> by the  sixth-century scholar Dionysius Exiguus, who was compiling a
table
>>of dates of Easter. Rather than starting with  the year zero, years in
this
>> calendar begin with the date January 1, 1 Anno Domini (AD).
Consequently,
>> the next   millennium does not begin until January 1, 2001 AD.

Hogwash!   The new millennium started yesterday in the year 2000.   The
last century started with 1900. The last decade started on Jan 1 1990(or is
someone going to tell me the year 1990 belongs to the decade of the
80's?).

True a sixth-century scholar cheated the first decade out of a year but
that doesn't mean we should continue to screw this up forever.  Folks are
just going to have to get over the fact that 2000 years ago the first year
of the first decade was called 1 B.C. and not zero.   Surely the Naval
observatory has better things to do with our tax dollars than pursue such
maters on their (our) website.

Tom