OSHA in your bedroom

Jim Nantz jnantz at STUDENT.GC.MARICOPA.EDU
Tue Jan 4 11:40:22 MST 2000

Today Rush brought to my attention that OSHA has announced that
it has jurisdiction over home offices, and said that views a
home office as an extension of an employee's workplace, and the
employer is responsible for conditions in the home office if it
allows employees to telecommute.

Rush had some good questions and I'll repeat them here.

What if you have a housekeeper and you smoke while she's there
working?

What if you smoke while your children are in the house?

How long before OSHA starts showing up at homes to do
inspections of these home offices?

I can only imagine what would happen if OSHA sends a bra
burning, man hating feminazi out to Doug's place to do an
inspection.

First there is the odor that suggests fine cigars were smoked
there.

Second there are the pictures of the pinup girls on the walls.
This will be written up as promoting a hostile work environment
for women.

Then there's the picture of Doug's uncle wearing his (now
politically incorrect) uniform.  This will be written up as
promoting a hostile work environment for Jewish people and
queers.

His office is not wheelchair accessable. - The door isn't wide
enough to let them in.