Elian Gonzales

Jim Nantz jnantz at STUDENT.GC.MARICOPA.EDU
Thu Jan 6 12:24:49 MST 2000

Now the communists at the INS have decided that Elian Gonzales
should go back to his dad in Cuba.  Elian's mother; who he lived
with wanted him to live in the U.S.  Cubans living in Florida
have decided to fight this decision in court.

This morning J.D. Hayworth (R-Az) was intervied on KFYI.  He
said before a decision is made to send Elian back to Cuba that
his father should come to the U.S. and make his request to take
his boy back.

What do you think should happen here?  I believe the wishes of
Elian's mom should be respected.  Elian will have better
opportunities here.  Also we have no way to know if Mr. Gonzales
really wants his boy back or if Fidel Castro told him he wants
his boy back.