Elian Gonzales

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Thu Jan 6 15:09:03 MST 2000

At 12:24 PM 01/06/2000 -0700, Jim Nantz wrote:

>Now the communists at the INS have decided that Elian Gonzales
>should go back to his dad in Cuba. Elian's mother; who he lived
>with wanted him to live in the U.S. Cubans living in Florida
>have decided to fight this decision in court.
>
>This morning J.D. Hayworth (R-Az) was intervied on KFYI. He
>said before a decision is made to send Elian back to Cuba that
>his father should come to the U.S. and make his request to take
>his boy back.
>
>What do you think should happen here? I believe the wishes of
>Elian's mom should be respected.  Elian will have better
>opportunities here. Also we have no way to know if Mr. Gonzales
>really wants his boy back or if Fidel Castro told him he wants
>his boy back.

"To return Elian to Cuba is a form of child abuse. If Castro is so concerned
about family why not release Elian's family and let them join Elian in the
United States.  The point is that the child's father is living under a
dictator, a totalitarian regime. Yes, the child should be reunited with his
dad ... in this country.  The pressure should have been put on Castro to
release the father, and, in effect, release all of Cuba.  And one wonders,
where is that great defender of children, Mrs. Hillary Clinton, on this
issue?  We can only be grateful that during the Cold War, the Clintons were
not in power. If they were, all those families and children escaping from
East Berlin would have been sent back."
                        - RNC Co-Chairman Patricia Harrison, 1/5/00

        I agree with Pat Harrison!

JAQ