Elian Gonzales

Jim Nantz jnantz at STUDENT.GC.MARICOPA.EDU
Fri Jan 7 20:43:23 MST 2000

a45acp4me at JUNO.COM wrote:

> I don't know if the Mother is guilty of Kidnapping or not, but if the boy
> had died at Sea she would be guilty of Murder.

Let's see if I got this right.

She fled an oppressive communist dictatorship. She fled using an
unsafe/dangerous mode of transport (the raft).  This unsafe mode of
transport was the only means of escape available to her.  She fled her
country because she wanted a better life for her son.  She wanted him to
grow up in a place where he would never go hungry.  She wanted him to
grow up in a place where he wouldn't have to fear being killed by the
government just because of something he said.  You say she would have
been guilty of murder if her son had died during their escape.

If you believe this woman would be guilty of murder under these
circumstances then a woman would also be guilty of murder if she fled
any of the following places.

Germany during Hitler's reign
Kosovo last year.
Bosnia anytime during the 90s
Cambodia during the Pol Pot regime
Any of the Warsaw Pact nations during the cold war
China after the communist takeover
Vietnam

I'm sure there are hundreds of other places I could name if I took the
time.