Elian Gonzales

Pam Charles bluecalyptus at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 7 20:55:49 MST 2000

--- Dennis Putnam <dap1 at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:

> At 12:24 PM 1/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >  SNIP
> >What do you think should happen here?  I believe
> the wishes of
> >Elian's mom should be respected.  Elian will have
> better
> >opportunities here.  Also we have no way to know if
> Mr. Gonzales
> >really wants his boy back or if Fidel Castro told
> him he wants
> >his boy back.
> >

> This is true but he is still the biological father.
> I agree it would
> be nice ot interview the father but the bottom line
> is no on, not
> even clinton has the right to seperate a child for
> either natural
> parent unless there is evidence of physical abuse
> which is not the
> case here. We may not like living conditions in Cuba
> nor the lack of
> hope for a future for the child like we know he
> would have here.
> Nevertheless it is his son. Period.

Period? I suppose that is a way to stifle further
comment, but it is anything but period. I am
confounded at people who make this simplistic leap of
inductive logic.

There is no question in my mind, that if that boy had
been a Hottentot and had made it here on his mother's
heroic and dying quest to bring her child into freedom
from oppression from South Africa during apartide,
that no one would be making these asinine pop culture
conclusions to send him back to an estranged
biological sire.

What a God-awful tragedy! After a horrendous ordeal,
the boy makes it to the Land of Milk and Honey, a gift
of a brave and martyred mother ... her dying wish.
Then what? Along comes the legalistic Pharisees and
Sadducees to spit on her sacrifice and hand the
rescued child back to the despotic bastards that made
her death necessary for her son's freedom -- freedom
denied. Talk about Paradise Lost!

I weep. The angels weep. But oh how the devil must
laugh.

Anathema!

Pam