The fur will fly now.

Ray Thomas raythomas101 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 12 09:28:51 MST 2000

Susan:

The problem with "becoming more vocal" about abortion is that the very
subject invites anger to those on both sides. It is such a "polarizing"
issue that neither side will admit that the other side has ANY room to talk,
and I've never been able to understand how people can get so exercised about
having the right to KILL their progeny if it is "inconvenient" to have them.

I feel that if you engage in activities that can lead to pregnancy, and it
does, you should accept responsibility for the result, not kill it.
Sometimes that responsibility is simply to have it and put it up for
adoption. It's all about accepting responsibility for your actions, which is
a basic Objectivist tenet.

I know that Ayn Rand thought abortion was OK, having made a "subjective"
decision that life did not begin until the child left the womb. This is one
of my main differences with her. To say it was a "subjective" decision is
true because it could not have been otherwise. I have made a similarly
subjective decision (the only kind I could have made about this subject)
that she was wrong. Life DOES begin a LOT earlier. Just how early, I don't
know.

I believe that there ARE sometimes good, logical reasons to abort. Forcible
rape is one of them. But to use abortion as birth control is just wrong.
Especially when you wait until the last second and have to crush the child's
skull and suck its brains out to kill it (sorry for the imagery, but I think
we need to admit what abortion really is).

I believe that many people on the pro-abortion side of the issue (And I
don't use their "politically correct" words for each side. I'm not
"pro-life" per se, I'm "anti-abortion.") have had abortions in the past and
if abortion is proven to them to be wrong, they will have to live with that
wrong the rest of their lives. That may account for the strength of their
opposition to the "anti-abortion" position.

Having said that, I will not entertain arguments that attempt to "whittle"
my opinion down because, like most people concerning abortion, my opinion is
pretty much set and I don't believe I'm going to convince anyone otherwise,
nor are they going to convince me.

I have "opened up" so to speak, on this issue, only because this is a
somewhat "exclusive" List with people who, I feel, are more intelligent than
those on the many other Lists to which I subscribe. If I wrote what I have
written above on most of them, I'd have to change my email address and
probably buy a gun.

So that's where I am.

RAY THOMA$