Flag runs up trouble for McCain

Pam Charles bluecalyptus at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 12 19:40:16 MST 2000

--- Jim Nantz <jnantz at STUDENT.GC.MARICOPA.EDU> wrote:
> It looks more and more like John McCain is a liberal
> in sheep's
> clothing.  First he says you don't need any of your
> money back that the
> federales take in taxes.  Now he's shot himself in
> the foot over South
> Carolina and the Confederate flag.  I'd love to see
> how well he does in
> this upcoming South Carolina primary. :-)
>
> The following comes from the latest issue of the
> Daily Telegraph.
>
> "SENATOR John McCain, the Vietnam veteran
> challenging for the Republican
> presidential nomination, has infuriated
> conservatives in the American South
> by branding the Confederate flag "a symbol of racism
> and slavery".

I was annoyed with Bush too ... after the debate.
During a post-debate interview, he began to waffle in
a very awkward way, I thought. The question was, as I
recall, something like: "Would you approve of a
Confederate flag flying over the capital in Austin?"

Bush said "no" and then began to splutter. It was
embarassing. His first answer about that flag (South
Carolina's) was that it should be up to the people.
Seems to me that the same answer would work just fine
in Texas too.

BTW I think Keyes and Bauer had the best of it during
the debate. Bauer made Bush look inept over China
vis-a-vis Cuba respecting trade issues.

Pam for Prez!