Too Hot for Dan

Stephen Frye safrye at CONCENTRIC.NET
Thu Jan 20 20:26:36 MST 2000

At 07:30 PM 1/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Stephen  the fact is that the tree huggers tell us that CFCs which are
>heavier than air

That most definitely does not ring true - but I will know tomorrow.  I'll
reserve response on this claim until then.

>make their way to the ozone layer where the strong
>sunlight breaks them down releasing the clorine and flourine they're
>made of.  Then they tell us that the clorine is what causes the
>depletion of the ozone.  They tell us their theory is fact because
>they've found clorine and flourine in the ozone layer above the south
>pole.  Of course they do conveinently forget the volcano that belches
>out all these gasses.  One more thing.  The tree huggers tell us that
>clorine from natural sources isn't at fault because rain washes it out
>of the air before it gets up there.

I'm sorry.  I didn't realize I had said a single word about the hole in the
ozone or what may or may not have caused it.  Give me a few moments while I
look back at what I have posted.

>Now for some questions.
>
>Clorine is approximately the same weight as air.  If it is washed out of
>the air by rain then why would a diclorodifloromethane (R12) molecule
>which is heavier than air not be washed out of the air?

See response above.

>Can you show me what global weather pattern collects CFCs from all over
>the world and transports them to the south pole?

See response above.

>Why does this alleged global weather pattern so selective in that it
>transports CFCs to the south pole, but does not transport anything else
>there at the same time?

See response above.

>Look at any chart showing prevailing winds around the world.  The ones
>in the northern hemisphere are mirrored in the southern hemisphere.  Why
>is there no ozone hole over the north pole?

There is.

>Are you trying to convince us that Rudolph's nose is the result of a
>severe sunburn?

Well, asking about this makes as much sense as switching topic to the hole
in the ozone.

>BTW CFCs are suspected of contributing to global warming.  It's just
>that the tree huggers put most of the blame on CO2.

I have never heard the claim that CFC's contribute to global warming.
Never - other than this post from you.

Carbon dioxide does indeed cause heat retention.  Simple chemistry.  If the
percentage of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere increases, the heat
retention of our atmosphere will increase.  Is this happening now?  I don't
know.  I don't have the knowledge to intelligently address it.  Some
experts say yes, some say no.  As I replied to Dennis - Stephen Hawking's
concern was that there seemed to be an increase in the percentage.  He made
no claim as to whether it was natural or man made.  His other claim was
that if it is truly increasing, and if there is some way to slow it, then
we should do what we can in order to avoid the naturally resulting warming
effect.

Many have chosen to panic over this or to make it a political issue.  Both
are silly reactions.