Subscribe

Ray Thomas raythomas101 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 21 09:16:35 MST 2000

Jose:

This is what I've got:

------

Your  subscription  to the  RUSHTALK  list  (Open discussion  of  current
events) has been accepted.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you subscribe to an  electronic mailing list. If you ever need to
  leave the  list,  you  will find  the  necessary instructions  below.

Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!

You should  also  save the  "welcome messages" from the  list owners that
you will  occasionally receive after subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send mail to RUSHTALK at ATHENA.CSDCO.COM .This is called "sending mail to
the  list", because  you send  mail to a  single address  and LISTSERV makes
  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
(RUSHTALK at ATHENA.CSDCO.COM) is  also called the "list  address". You must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed to
all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV address",  LISTSERV at ATHENA.CSDCO.COM. It  is very  important to
understand  the difference  between the  two, but  fortunately it  is not
complicated. The LISTSERV address is like  a FAX number that connects you to
a machine,  whereas the  list  address is  like a  normal voice  line
connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the FAX number
when you wanted to talk to someone on the phone, you will quickly realize
that you  used the wrong  number and call again.  No harm will  have been
done. If on the other hand  you accidentally make your FAX call someone's
voice  line,  the  person  receiving the  call will  be  inconvenienced,
especially if your FAX then re-dials  every 5 minutes. The fact that most
people will eventually connect the FAX machine to the voice line to allow
the FAX  to go through  and make  the calls stop  does not mean  that you
should continue to send FAXes to  the voice number. People would just get
mad at you.  It works pretty much  the same way with  mailing lists, with
the difference  that you are calling  hundreds or thousands of  people at
the same  time, and consequently  you can expect a  lot of people  to get
upset if you consistently send commands to the list address.

You  may leave  the list  at  any time  by sending  a "SIGNOFF  RUSHTALK"
command to LISTSERV at ATHENA.CSDCO.COM . You can  also tell LISTSERV how you
want it to confirm  the receipt of messages you send to  the list. If you do
not trust the system, send a "SET RUSHTALK REPRO" command and LISTSERV will
send you a  copy of your own messages, so that you  can see that the message
was distributed and did not get damaged on the way. After a while you  may
find  that this is getting  annoying, especially  if your  mail program does
not  tell you that the  message is from you  when it informs you that new
mail has arrived from  RUSHTALK. If you send a "SET RUSHTALK ACK  NOREPRO"
command,  LISTSERV will  mail you  a short  acknowledgement instead, which
will  look different in your mailbox  directory. With most mail programs you
  will know immediately that this  is an acknowledgement
you can read later. Finally, you can turn off acknowledgements  completely
with "SET RUSHTALK NOACK NOREPRO".

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list  of the  available  archive  files by  sending  an "INDEX  RUSHTALK"
command to LISTSERV at ATHENA.CSDCO.COM . You can then order these files with a
"GET  RUSHTALK LOGxxxx"  command, or  using LISTSERV's  database search
facilities. Send an  "INFO DATABASE" command for more  information on the
latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version of  the  postings,  just issue  a  SET RUSHTALK DIGEST
command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"