[www.washtimes.com] *MASSIVE NERVE*!!!

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Tue Jan 25 22:20:36 MST 2000

John A. Quayle has sent you an article from The Washington
Times.

Folks:

If this doesn't redefine chutzpah, I don't know what does!

John Q.

ALBRIGHT DISAVOWS HELMS' STATEMENT

Dafna Linzer
ASSOCIATED PRESS

     NEW YORK — Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
used an appearance before the U.N. Security Council
yesterday to distance herself and the Clinton administration
from the stern denunciation delivered last week by Sen.
Jesse Helms.

     "Let me be clear. Only the president and the executive
branch can speak for the United States. Today, on behalf of
the president, let me say that the Clinton administration
and I believe that most Americans see our role in the world
and our relationship to this organization quite differently
than does Senator Helms," Mrs. Albright said.

     Her conciliatory comments so starkly contrasted with
those of Mr. Helms that they drew intermittent chuckles from
foreign ambassadors seated around the Security Council
table.

     On Thursday, the North Carolina Republican and chairman
of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee savaged the United
Nations for its "lack of gratitude" and warned the
international body of a U.S. withdrawal if it continues "to
impose its presumed authority on the American people."

     "They see the U.N. aspiring to establish itself as the
central authority of a new international order of global
laws and global governance. This is an international order
the American people will not countenance," Mr. Helms told
the Security Council.

     Mrs. Albright — a former U.S. ambassador to the United
Nations who returned yesterday to chair a meeting on peace
prospects for Congo — sought to placate the 15-member
Security Council by saying the United States is part of the
United Nations team.

     "We strongly support the United Nations Charter and the
organization's purpose. We respect its rules, which we
helped to write. We want to strengthen it through continued
reform and we recognize its many contributions to our own
interest in a more secure, democratic and humane world."

     The secretary of state also said the United Nations
provides a vital forum for the consideration of matters
affecting security and peace.

     Mrs. Albright said the United States believes in
"leading with other nations whenever possible," and that the
United Nations was the forum to do so.

     "We recognize its many contributions to our own
interests in a more secure, democratic and humane world,"
she said.

     In her disclaimer, Mrs. Albright also described Mr.
Helms as "a man of conviction and a strong advocate of a
distinct point of view about the United Nations and
America's relationship to it. He and I have made a point of
working together where we can, and making sure that when we
disagree, we do so agreeably," she said.

     A spokesman for Mr. Helms declined yesterday to comment
on Mrs. Albright's remarks.

     Sen. Rod Grams, chairman of the Foreign Relations
subcommittee on international operations, yesterday said
that "Jesse was speaking for Jesse but also as chairman of
the Foreign Relations Committee."

     Asked about Mr. Helms' statements last week in New York
that many Americans fear the United Nations might threaten
U.S. soverignty, Mr. Grams said "some do."

     "Articles have been written that conjure up these
concerns," he told The Washington Times.

     "The senator laid out — 'Here's the issue and here's
the concern.' If there's nothing to be concerned about,
that's great."

     Mr. Grams said that while Mr. Helms does not speak for
the administration he was "someone who worked out the
Helms-Biden bill to get an agreement with the U.N. to pay
the arrears and influence the reforms that we think are
important."

     Mr. Clinton signed that bill.

     While Mrs. Albright's views on foreign policy may
differ with those of Mr. Helms, Mr. Grams said, "Mr. Helms
does represent a majority opinion on the reforms package.

     A day after Mr. Helms spoke at the United Nations, the
top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
joined his criticism, saying fundamental structural changes
are inevitable.

     "I know it, you know it, we all know it," Sen. Joseph
R. Biden Jr., Delaware Democrat, told Secretary-General Kofi
Annan and other top U.N. officials.

     Mr. Biden said that while he does not share Mr. Helms'
conservative politics, he agrees the United Nations must
overhaul its practices.

     "Fundamental changes have to take place. The good news
is you're in charge."

     Despite his words Friday, Mr. Biden said through a
spokesman that he agreed with Mrs. Albright.

     "Mr. Helms articulated his own views," said Chris
Madison, spokesman Mr. Biden. "Only the U.S. president or a
member of his administration can speak officially for the
United States."

This article was mailed from The Washington Times
(http://www.washtimes.com).
For more great articles, visit us at
http://www.washtimes.com

Copyright (c) 2000 News World Communications, Inc. All
rights reserved.