Crude Oil and Presidential Intervention?

Thomas Matiska tom.matiska at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 13 13:17:10 MDT 2000

I understand the export of Alaska oil is old news, and
is done for economic reasons that actually make sense.

The cost of shipping Alaskan oil to Japan vs the lower
48 is comparable.  Shipping from the Mid East, South
America, etc  to Japan is much more expensive than the
shorter trip to the US.

Alaskan oil goes to Japan, Arab oil goes to the US, and
_somebody_ pockets the savings.  Who exactly pockets the
savings isn't clear.  Probably not the consumer.

Tom