WS>>Interesting quotes 0000

Sun Oct 15 21:39:06 MDT 2000

     "If  (the Elian Gonzalez) case had involved  a  six-year-old
     West African girl whose mother had died coming to the  U.S.,
     and  whose American relatives said she would be  subject  to
     ritual genital mutilation if sent back to her  non-custodial
     father,  it  is hard to imagine Ms.  Reno sending  the  girl
     back  without  an  asylum hearing - much  less  sending  151
     agents  with semiautomatic weapons to effect  the  transfer.
     She should have shown the same regard for Elian." -  Column-
     ist  Grover  Rees, former judge, law professor  and  general
     counsel to the INS, Wall Street Journal, 4/25/00

     "The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-
     tenths  imaginary, exactly like his love of  sense,  justice
     and truth.  He is not actually happy when free; he is uncom-
     fortable, a bit alarmed, and intolerably lonely.  Liberty is
     not  a thing for the great masses of men.  It is the  exclu-
     sive  possession of a small and disreputable minority,  like
     knowledge,  courage and honor.  It takes a special  sort  of
     man  to understand and enjoy liberty-- and he is usually  an
     outlaw  in democratic societies." H.L.   Mencken,  Baltimore
     Evening Sun, Feb.  12, 1923

     "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather  an
     irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's
      minds.." -- Samuel Adams

     who is striking at the root."  -- Henry David Thoreau    <><

     "Tyranny is always better organized than freedom." -- Thomas
     Paine

     "...The  strength and power of despotism consists wholly  in
     the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

     "If  we ever pass out as a great nation, we ought to put  on
     our  tombstone:   America died from a delusion the  she  had
     moral leadership." -- Will Rogers

     "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
     alarmed  --  and thus clamorous to be led to  safety  --  by
     menacing  it  with an endless series of hobgoblins,  all  of
     them imaginary." -- H.L.  Mencken

     The Second Amendment is the "miner's canary" of the Bill  of
     Rights.   If the atmosphere does not sustain the freedom  to
     keep  and  bear  arms, it will not long  sustain  any  other
     freedom.  -- Walter Lee <walt at crcom.net>

     "The  right of self-defense is the first law of nature.   In
     most governments it has been the study of rulers to  confine
     this  right within the narrowest limits possible.   Whenever
     standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people  to
     keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext  whatsoev-
     er,  prohibited; liberty, if not already annihilated, is  on
     the brink of destruction."  - Justice George Tucker,  Virgi-
     nia Supreme Court, 1803

     As  a  man is said to have a right to his property,  he  may
     equally be said to have a property in his rights.  --  James
     Madison,  4th President of the United States and  Father  of
     the Constitution

     "Americans  have  imposed  the tyranny  of  Washington  upon
     ourselves...   "No longer innocently oppressed, America  has
     become  a  nation  of belligerent  beggars,  demanding  with
     insufferable  arrogance an endless cornucopia of  government
     handouts, subsidies, and entitlements.  Refusing to pay  for
     them themselves, they demand that others pick up the  multi-
     trillion  dollar  tab -- most especially  and  contemptibly,
     their children and grandchildren." -- Jack Wheeler,  column-
     ist Strategic Investment Newsletter

     "An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of  a
     piss-soaked    paper   bag."   -   General    Patton    from
     http://www.warroom.com/patton.htm

     "This  power is also referred to as jury "discretion."  Just
     as police use discretion on whether to enforce the law;  and
     prosecutors  use  discretion when charging  someone  with  a
     violation of the law; and judges use discretion in  deciding
     whether to dismiss those charges; jurors also have the power
     to  use  discretion in applying the law."  --  Laura  Kriho;
     editorial in Boulder Daily Camera, 9/13/97

     "The Brady law has been in effect for three years now.    In
     that  time,  the  Federal government  has  prosecuted  seven
     people,  and  convicted three of them.   The  President  has
     entertained more felons than that at Whitehouse fundraisers,
     for Pete's sake." -- Charlton Heston

     "The constitution protects us from our own best  intentions.
     It divides power among the sovereigns and among the branches
     of government precisely so that we may resist the temptation
     to  concentrate power in one location as an expedient  solu-
     tion to the problems of the day." -- Justice Antonin  Scalia
     in the majority Supreme Court decision on the Brady Law

     "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights
     of  ordinary Americans...that we are unable to  think  about
     reality." -- William J.  Clinton

     Those  now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once  to
     turn them over to the local police authority.  Firearms  and
     ammunition found in a Jew's possession will be forfeited  to
     the government without compensation.  ...  Whoever willfully
     or negligently violates the provisions ...  will be punished
     with imprisonment and a fine.  In especially severe cases of
     deliberate  violations, the punishment is imprisonment in  a
     penitentiary for up to five years.  --   German Minister  of
     the  Interior,  "Regulations Against Jews'  Possession    of
     Weapons", 11 November 1938

     "A  society  that condones government  violence  and  forced
     redistribution  of wealth while attacking the right  of  its
     citizens  to defend themselves against violence must by  its
     very  nature  accept authoritarianism as a  way  of  life...
     U.S.  Rep.  Ron Paul, in a 2/25/97 address to Congress

     "Whenever  governments mean to invade the rights and  liber-
     ties  of  the  people, they always attempt  to  destroy  the
     militia,  in  order to raise an army upon their  ruins."  --
     Rep.   Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during  floor
     debate  over the Second Amendment, I Annals of  Congress  at
     750, August 17, 1789.

     Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...  disarm only  those
     who are neither inclined nor determined to commit  crimes...
     Such laws make things worse for the assulted and better  for
     the  assailants;  they  serve rather to  encourage  than  to
     prevent  homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked  with
     greater  confidence  than an armed  man.   Thomas  Jefferson
     (1764)

     "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotion-
     al maturity." Freud - 'General Introduction to  Psychoanaly-
     sis'.

     "A  system  of licensing and registration,  is  the  perfect
     device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." --  Vladi-
     mir Ilyich Lenin

     Democracy:  Two  wolves and a sheep negotiating on  what  to
     have for dinner Freedom: Two very hungry wolves looking  for
     dinner  and  finding  a very  well-informed  and  well-armed
     sheep.   NN 9-7-99  ---  Gene  Williams  <g.g.williams at mind-
     spring.com>

     "The constitution protects us from our own best  intentions.
     It divides power among the sovereigns and among the branches
     of government precisely so that we may resist the temptation
     to  concentrate power in one location as an expedient  solu-
     tion to the problems of the day." -- Justice Antonin  Scalia
     in the majority Supreme Court decision on the Brady Law
     "If we are to avoid that catastrophe (nuclear  devastation),
     a  system  of  world order - preferably a  system  of  world
     government  - is mandatory.  The proud nations someday  will
     see  the light and, for the common good and their  own  sur-
     vival,  yield up their precious sovereignty, just as  Ameri-
     ca's thirteen colonies did two centuries ago.

     "When  we finally come to our senses and establish  a  world
     executive and parliament of nations, thanks to the Nuremberg
     precedent we will already have in place the fundamentals for
     the  third branch of government, the judiciary."  --  Walter
     Cronkite     from his book A Reporter's Life.
     Who  Gives  a Damn When "Politically Correct"  Usurps  Moral
     Right

     "Janet Reno sends in the goon squad to snatch a six-year-old
     kid  at  gunpoint.    Republican leaders of  the  House  and
     Senate  scream bloody murder and demand hearings.  Then  the
     polls  come  in saying the public doesn't give a  good  damn
     about  Reno's Raiders and the spineless leadership  of  both
     the bodies suddenly starts looking for a place to hide.   We
     expect  this  kind of abdication of backbone by the  Don  at
     1600  Pennsylvania Avenue, but not from the leaders  of  the
     party that used to stand for something.  'Truth is, we don't
     want hearings now,' said one GOP staff member Sunday  night.
     'It's  not  in  our party's best  interests.   The  American
     public doesn't want hearings, so why should we?'

     "Why indeed.  Why stop the cycle that began with Whitewater,
     criminal  fundraising activities, sex with interns  and  God
     knows  what else? Why hand another public relations  victory
     to  Bill Clinton? Because in the end, that's all  Washington
     and  our political system has become -- a  public  relations
     machine where decisions rest not with the question of  right
     or  wrong or even with the question of law.  It's  who  does
     the  best job of selling their particular slant to the  gov-
     ernment.   So  far, Bill Clinton has won just about  all  of
     those public relations battles." - Columnist Doug  Thompson,
     Capitol Hill Blue, 5/1/00
     It Ain't About Gays OR Scouts

     "(T)he  Boy Scouts of America v.  James Dale is about  every
     American's  First Amendment freedom of association.  If  the
     Boy  Scouts  lose, so will the thousands of  other  private,
     voluntary associations that organize themselves on the basis
     of    race,   religion,   ethnicity,   gender   or    sexual
     orientation.   ...  (T)he case is about something much  more
     than  Scouts or gays.  It's about a core value  of  American
     society:  the  right to associate, and not  associate,  with
     whomever we please.  ...  Many good people will differ  over
     whether  the Boy Scouts ought to admit Mr.  Dale  and  other
     open homosexuals.  Those who believe they should have  every
     right  to work to change the Scouts' minds - and to  be  re-
     spected for their views.  But the Boy Scouts and other  pri-
     vate  associations have a right too - to be free  to  pursue
     their  own convictions without government  interference."  -
     Columnist Melanie Kirkpatrick, Wall Street Journal, 4/24/00