LIBERTY

Mon Oct 16 19:11:07 MDT 2000

"It is certain that the two World Wars in which I have participated
would not have occurred had we been prepared. It is my belief that
adequate preparation on our part would have prevented or materially
shortened all our other wars beginning with that of 1812.  Yet, after
each of our wars, there has always been a great hue and cry to the
effect that there will be no more wars, that disarmament is the sure
road to health, happiness, and peace; and that by removing the fire
department, we will remove fires.  These ideas spring from wishful
thinking and from the erroneous belief that wars result from logical
processes.  There is no logic in wars.  They are produced by madmen.
No man can say when future madmen will reappear.  I do not say that
there will be no more wars; I devoutly hope that there will not, but I
do say that the chances of avoiding future wars will be greatly
enhanced if we are ready." -- General George Patton