WS>>It Was Not about Slavery -

Thomas J. Benthall tbenthal at SCHOOLLINK.NET
Tue Sep 5 02:50:37 MDT 2000

On 3 Sep 00, at 20:46, carl william spitzer iv wrote:

>           ABSOLUTE  PROOF  THE NORTH DIDN'T INVADE  OVER  SLAVERY
>      This amendment is the only one in the history of our  nation
>      to be signed by a President, Abe Lincoln.
>
>           Joint  Resolution  to  amend the  Constitution  of  the
>      United  States.   March 2, 1861 Resolved by the  Senate  and
>      House of Representatives of the United States of America  in
>      Congress  assembled, That the following article be  proposed
>      to the Legislatures of the several States as an amendment to
>      the Constitution of the United States, which, when  ratified
>      by  three-fourths of said Legislatures, shall be  valid,  to
>      all intents and purposes, as part of the said  Constitution,
>      viz.: "Article Thirteen."
>
>           "No  amendment shall be made to the Constitution  which
>      will  authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish  or
>      interfere, within any State , with the domestic institutions
>      thereof, including that of persons held to labor or  service
>      by the laws of said State."
>
>           APPROVED, March 2, 1861.
>
>           Source: U.S.   Statutes at Large (1861), page 251.

Quite an interesting posting.   Especially in light of my understanding that park rangers at national
battlefields are being instructed to emphasize that the war was fought over slavery.   It has been
called to my attention that the park rangers are to explain to visitors that slavery was the cause of
the war.

Historical truth must  yield to the social issues of today.