Highly *IMPORTANT*!

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Wed Sep 6 19:26:02 MDT 2000

Polyconomics' Daily Memo on the Margin
(commentary taken from http://www.polyconomics.com)

September 5, 2000

The UN's 'Mommy Earth' Charter

To: American "democrats" and "republicans"
From: Jude Wanniski
Re: "Fascism," "communism," now "mommyism"

         Every institution on earth has its mommy component (yin) and daddy
component (yang). Mommy represents the collective good and daddy represents
the individual good. The Republican Party is, generally speaking, our
"daddy party" and the Democratic Party is our "mommy party." The United
Nations is a "mommy" organization, which grew out of the allied coalition
that defeated "fascism," which is "daddy" in the extreme.

         Conservative Republicans do not like the United Nations, or at
least they do not trust it, because it appears to be trying to evolve into
a "world federalism," which would dilute U.S. sovereignty to a vanishing
point. I tend to agree that the international bureaucracy -- which is the
visible component of the organization headquartered on the East River --
would like nothing better than to run the world, without any interference
from democratic institutions that must answer to real people.

         On the other hand, as long as she understands who really wears the
pants in the family, there is something to be said for a "mommy" of
organized nation states that puts diplomacy ahead of force in a world that
is supposed to be at peace. New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who  always
has tended to put force ahead of diplomacy, struck exactly that note last
week when announced that Cuba's Fidel Castro was not welcome in NYC and
should not attend the UN's "Millennium Summit," which begins today. Hey,
the whole idea of the UN is that it is the one place on the planet where
even the black sheep could come to state their case. If the heads of state
of all the so-called "rogue nations" could show up, maybe they would not be
so roguish.

         Having said that, I appreciate the summary of this "summit's" aim
and agenda as seen by S. Fred Singer, a political philosopher as well as a
physicist, who has grappled with the "mommy" bureaucracy of the UN on the
issue of global warming. An old friend, Fred sent the following alert to
his fans and followers and I pass it on to you.

         * * *
The Week That Was September 2, 2000
UN Earth Charter
by S. Fred Singer

         Grandiose plans are underway for the 55th annual gathering of the
United Nations General Assembly in New York City September 5-9, 2000.
Titled the Millennium Assembly and Summit, it is scheduled to take at least
two actions designed to turn the corner from a world of sovereign
nation-states to a world of disparate peoples subordinated to the supreme
authority of the United Nations.

         The two actions expected to be taken by consensus are adoption of
the Earth Charter, a document whose text has evolved through several drafts
since the Earth Summit in 1992, and adoption of a declaration authorizing a
new UN commission to implement the various recommendations necessary to
bring about global governance.

         The Earth Charter's advocates speak of it as though it were the
"Magna Carta" of a new regime, but it's not a regime of freedom from
arbitrary kings like King John at Runnymede in 1215. It's a charter for
submission to global bureaucrats possessing unprecedented powers.

         The UN Millennium meetings could draw more media than the
presidential debates, and the candidates should state whether they are for
or against these radical UN goals.

         A portion of the Millennium Assembly is designated as the
Millennium Summit, which President Clinton and 160 heads of state are
expected to attend, the largest gathering of heads of state in history.
Also meeting at the same time at the New York Hilton will be Mikhail
Gorbachev and his State of the World Forum, hoping to help induce heads of
state to concur in the Millennium Assembly's historic actions.

         The Earth Charter demands that we adopt "sustainable development
plans and regulations" (i.e., to subordinate human needs to global fads
enforced by environment dictators), and that the UN "manage the use of
renewable resources such as water, soil, forest products, and marine life .
. . [to] protect the health of ecosystems" (i.e., not the health of mere
humans).

         The Charter affirms that "all beings are interdependent" (i.e.,
personal
freedom is irrelevant) and "every form of life has value regardless of its
worth to human beings" (i.e., animals, plants and insects, but not unborn
babies). The Charter demands that we "ensure universal [i.e., global]
access to health care that fosters reproductive health [i.e., abortion and
contraception] and responsible reproduction [i.e., UN-dictated population
control]."

         The Charter demands that we "act with restraint and efficiency
when using energy" (i.e., lower U.S. energy use and standard of living).
The Charter requires that we "eradicate poverty," "promote the equitable
distribution of wealth within nations and among nations," and "relieve them
of onerous international debt" (i.e., redistribute wealth around the world).

         The Charter exhorts us to affirm "gender equality" and "eliminate
discrimination in ... sexual orientation" (i.e., adopt the feminist and gay
agendas). The Charter demands that we "integrate into formal education
[i.e., assign a UN nanny to monitor our schools] ... skills needed for a
sustainable way of life [i.e., indoctrination in how we must subordinate
sovereignty to the UN dogma of sustainability]."

         The Charter demands that we "demilitarize national security
systems" (i.e., eliminate our armed services and their weapons). The
Charter concludes by proclaiming that the "Way Forward" requires "a change
of mind and heart" as we move toward "global interdependence and universal
responsibility." Also to be considered by the Millennium Assembly and
Summit is a lengthy Declaration, developed by 1,000 UN-accredited
non-governmental organizations (NGOs), called "Strengthening the United
Nations for the 21stCentury."

         This Declaration calls for "a fair distribution of the earth's
resources"
(from the United States to the rest of the world, of course), and for the
"eradication of poverty" by "redistribution [of] wealth and land." It
demands that we "cancel the debts of developing countries." The Declaration
demands the disarmament of all conventional and nuclear weapons, the
prohibition of "unilateral deployment of nationwide missile defense by any
country," and a "standing Peace Force" (i.e., a UN standing army). It calls
for a "UN Arms register" of all small arms and light weapons, and "peace
education" covering "all levels from pre-school through university."

         The Declaration demands UN "political control of the global
economy so that it may serve our vision," and that we "integrate" the World
Trade Organization under UN control. It calls for "eliminating" the veto
and permanent membership in the Security Council.

         The Declaration calls for implementing UN treaties that the United
States has never ratified, including the Convention on the Rights of the
Child and the Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (which
denies the right to private property). The Declaration calls for the
unratified International Criminal Court to exercise "compulsory
jurisdiction" over all states, enforced by the UN Security Council.

         This Declaration also calls for the UN to impose direct taxes such
as "fees on foreign exchange transactions (i.e., the Tobin Tax).

         Comment: Comments may be superfluous, except to remind that this
is the logical outcome of the 1992 Rio UN conference that gave us the
Global Climate Treaty (and Kyoto Protocol). Support comes from the sort of
people that signed the Morelia Declaration. (You have to read it to believe
it.)
http://sepp.org/weekwas/1999/Oct16.html

         * * * * *

Pretty scary, huh?