Bank on Greed

Thu Sep 7 11:19:04 MDT 2000

                 Bank on Greed

   As the present presidential campaign moves
into its final stages, the sole underlying
factor that will go a long way in selecting
the victor is the "greed" of the voter.

   The subject of Military Preparedness which
once occupied the "front and center" of
political debate appears to be of little
consequence to a majority of voters.

   Any criticism of our lack of military strength
is demagouged by Vice-President Gore as an attack
on our military personnel, who are the ones
"crying in the wilderness" of failed civil and
military leadership. A Colonel Hackworth talking
to hundreds of those military personnel reports
of the sad conditions they face in trying to
serve there country. An officer resigning his
commission said "... My decision to leave the
Army stems from my refusal to live the 'readiness
lie' portrayed by the nation's top leaders."

    The voters do not appear to understand
(or care?) during these days of peace.  The
significance of such failure in "hurting" our
ability to respond to nation threatening
situations falls on "deaf ears."

   Enter that all consuming political factor of
"greed" or "What's in it for me?" voter attitude.
Whichever candidate can give them more "free"
social benefits, he's got their vote.  They
willingly live the delusional "lie" that its
the other guy who'll pay for the V.P.'s grandiose
programs.  Or as Mr.Gore frames the situation in
his best "Marxist" view of our society, make the
"powerful" pay for their avarice.

   The obliging "victims" of this political thrust
never seem to entertain the reality that the
tax on their hard earned dollar is the ultimate
source of the V.P.'s extremely costly proposals.
Their right to keep most of their paycheck remains
a moot point in today's political debate.

   Unless or until they recognize that real cost
of their "greed" for Mr.Gore's promised "freebies",
he'll win the debate hands down.  And should
Mr. Bush try to promise more, the V.P. will "up the
ante" in a "New York minute."

   Kenneth E. Wyman

"One must fight if only to have fought according to
one's conscience"