Democrats Against Military Tribunals?

Stephen Frye safrye at CONCENTRIC.NET
Sat Dec 1 08:52:18 MST 2001

At 10:48 PM 11/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>At 02:33 PM 11/30/2001 -0700, Jim wrote:
>>They said we the people of the United States because the constitution
>>was set up to regulate the government of the United States, not the
>>governments of England, France, Spain, etc.  In the preamble it also
>>says ... establish this constitution for the United States of America.
>>For the United States of America not for England or France.
>
>         Thank you, Jim. You helped solidify my point!
>

>John Q.

I don't think that's what he did at all.  Yes, this country established a
government for itself.  But I read the entire Constitution and all
amendments just yesterday and I cannot find a single place where it says
that basic rights apply only to Americans.

I am learning here that many believe that is the case.  I don't believe
that.  We are all born with certain rights.  All, not just
Americans.  Philosophically, I believe that the Constitution protects more
God-given rights than it grants.  The Constitution did indeed outline a
plan for a government, but just as strong a purpose is its effort to
restrict that government's power.  It protects the God-given rights of the
people - not just the citizens, for God gave rights to all people - not
just American citizens.  If your belief differs form this, fine.  Mine does not.