Bernard Goldberg

Rob Loach deloges at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 20 12:55:16 MST 2001

Hi y'all!
Driving around this morning, I listened to Dr. Laura (something I don't
usually do when at home or at my workdesk.) She mentioned that her guest on
Friday of this week will be Bernard Goldberg. I wish I could listen to it
myself, but I won't be able to. I thought at least I'd pass it on to the
rest of you in case you can tune in if it's on a station near you.

Below is the Newsmax article about Goldberg's new book in case you're not
familiar with it. Media bias is no news to any of us, but we haven't had
the luxury of this much "whistleblowing" till now. 8-)

  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=
Rob Loach in Greenville SC
deloges at att.net  <mailto:deloges at att.net>
Please visit  http://www.topica.com/lists/ivman

***
Bumper sticker: Blaming guns for violent crimes is like blaming spoons for
Roseanne's weight
***

CBS's Goldberg Exposes Leftist Media Bias
Wes Vernon, NewsMax.com
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2001

WASHINGTON – "The little nut from the Christian group.” That’s how a staff
editor at CBS News' Washington bureau described presidential candidate Gary
Bauer in April 1999.

It was an inside conference call, but it was going out to CBS News bureaus
all over the country. It was a planning session for weekend news coverage.

True, it wasn’t said on the air for public consumption. But the bureau
chiefs participating in the discussion met it with dead silence. No one
protested.

What that tells you is that this reflects an attitude prevalent in much of
the major media. A shrug of the shoulders and "Doesn’t everybody think so?”

It is OK to slur fundamentalist Christians. But anyone making a similar
disparaging comment about any of the "politically correct” minority groups
would have been dismissed.

That is Bernard Goldberg’s point, laid out in 223 pages of his new book,
"Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News” (Regnery).

This is not Rush Limbaugh complaining for the 100th time of "bias in the
liberal media.”

This comes from the pen of a man who was a correspondent for CBS News,
having worked inside the company for 28 years. Nor is the author part of
the so-called "vast right-wing conspiracy” imagined by Hillary Clinton.
Since Bernie Goldberg first broke his silence and went public with an op-ed
piece on media bias in the Wall Street Journal in February 1996, he had
never voted for a single Republican.

There is an elitist culture at the major networks, he alleges, and that
goes for the so-called "prestige press,” as well. The electronic media
steal much of their material from the New York Times and the Washington
Post, the ultimate icons of the "Eastern establishment press.”

Another former CBS News employee said to this writer that "anyone working
at CBS News who is not a leftist knows how it must have felt to be a black
kid in a white school in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, back in 1938.”

The almost universal slant at the major networks is not the result of a
left-wing conspiracy, the former CBS newsman says. The people who work
there come from similar backgrounds. Many of them attended some of the best
Ivy League schools. And there’s contempt for "white trash” out there. As
one who grew up in a lower-middle-class family in the South Bronx, Goldberg
resents it.

There is an inherent hostility to Heartland America at the "big three”
networks: ABC, NBC and CBS. They don’t pretend to have much affinity for
folks living in Omaha or Kansas City.

That was reflected at a Washington media party several years ago where this
reporter witnessed loud guffaws from the group at the mere mention of
having once lived and worked in Salt Lake City.

They Even Fool Themselves

Goldberg, who spent his last years at CBS in the doghouse for his 1996 Wall
Street Journal piece, says that if these correspondents were to take a lie
detector test as to whether they slanted the news leftward, they would deny
it and pass with flying colors.

Many of them don’t consider that they’re leaning in any political
direction. They really think they are simply mainstream. There is no other
side of the argument except what you hear from a few right-wing nut cases.
In their world, mainstream conservatism doesn’t exist.

As one Washington news correspondent once said to me, "There is no left
wing.” There’s just normal goodness, as opposed to the extremists.

Apparently, not everyone with the establishment media is in complete denial.

Andrew Heyward, now top man at CBS News, told Goldberg after the 1996 op-ed
piece that of course, the networks tilt left, but that if Goldberg ever
quoted him as saying that, he would deny it.

Such moments of candor do occur. But they are rare. One other such moment
came when Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., in 1985 was urging conservatives around
the country to buy CBS stock so they could be "Dan Rather’s boss,” and give
the other side a chance to get a fair hearing on a major network.

An indignant supervisor at CBS at the time commented privately that "our
politics” was none of Helms’ business.

"Our politics”? We veer left, but if you quote me, I’ll deny it? That seems
to make hash of Dan Rather’s statement, quoted by Goldberg, that most
network reporters don’t know whether they’re Republican or Democrat, and
they "vote every which way.”

Rather was especially upset with Goldberg for telling his story in the Wall
Street Journal because that paper’s editorial page takes a consistently
conservative stand.

But Rather had written op-ed material for the New York Times, which he
insisted was "middle of the road.” The Times, notes Goldberg, is
consistently liberal. Nothing wrong with that, but Rather’s remark again
recalls the prevailing wisdom in Washington media circles that "there is no
left wing.”

Survey after survey has concluded that journalists are indeed very
different from the people they cover. Goldberg cites Peter Brown, an editor
of the Orlando Sentinel who asks, "How many members of the Los Angeles
Times and St. Louis Post-Dispatch belong to the American Legion or the
Kiwanis or go to prayer breakfasts?”

Ironically, the farther up the ladder you go to meet executives at the
networks outside the news divisions, the more unlikely it is that you will
find far-left-wing ideologues. That’s why Goldberg commented on the Sean
Hannity radio talk show Monday that he couldn’t understand "why the money
guys allow the news guys to squander an asset.”

That is a big problem, whether the news editors at "the big three” realize
it or not. Each year, they are losing more and more viewers from their
nightly news programs. Many are getting their news from talk radio and
cable TV, including Fox News Channel, which has picked up a considerable
audience just because it tries to balance out the conservative and liberal
points of view.

Goldberg is coming under vicious attack for his apostasy. But if "Bias”
starts a meaningful conversation on a problem that the news mavens refuse
to explore, he will have performed a greater service to the public than in
all his years as a CBS News insider.

Wes Vernon was a correspondent for a news department within the CBS Radio
News Division for 25 years. It was NOT part of CBS News.