How do you define a "Hate" crime?

Stephen Frye safrye at CONCENTRIC.NET
Thu Feb 8 18:24:41 MST 2001

At 04:29 PM 2/8/01 -0600, you wrote:
>If I come out and say that I'm going to kill everyone at company XYZ,
>that makes me a equal opportunity killer, but if I come out and say that
>I'm going to kill all Jews or all Blacks at XYZ, does that make the crime
>any worse?  How do you penalize someone worse for a racially motivated
>killing if the killing were premeditated or first degree murder?  Do you
>gas the person twice, send twice as much voltage through his body, or
>give him a double dose of lethal injection?  It seems to me that the
>problem here is just making sure that the current laws of the land are
>upheld.
>
>Your two cents please ....

Right on the money.  In fact, if one (not me) wants to claim that a hate
crime is worse, in other words, killing a black, a Jew, etc, then doesn't
that wrongfully imply that killing a white person is not as bad?

All seems pretty bogus to me.  A crime is a crime.  Murder is murder,
regardless of the race, color, etc of the victim.

Stephen Frye