The Star Spangled Banner's words

economic@cedar.net economic at CEDAR.NET
Sun Feb 3 02:24:40 MST 2002

While downloading the Star Spangled Banner tonight (I love that song, by
the way...always have), I started wondering what the rest of the words
to the anthem were, since most of us never learned anything but the
first stanza in school, if we learned it at all.

I looked them up on the net.  The last stanza has a special meaning
especially appropriate since September 11th.  I thought I'd just post it
here.   Read them and think about it, if you feel the same as I do about
this great country of ours'.  I think it applies to present times more
than the first stanza, which is more familiar.  I don't know about you,
but it brings tears to my eyes hearing it sung by the Mormon Tabernacle
Choir.

Here it is...sing it in your head;

Oh, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust!"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

John B Hammes