First Joe Camel now Ronald McDonald

Daniel Bobke dbobke at COX.NET
Mon Feb 11 15:04:44 MST 2002

I think the take on child behavior today is a little skewed.  I personally
have 3 children (2 boys, 1 girl) and they all have their willful and
obnoxious moments.  My wife and I are strict when it comes to our children -
we love them more than anything in this life, and because of that love we
punish appropriately.  However, all children will test limits, they will all
misbehave, and they will all appear as "brats" at the absolute worst time!
Mine are no exception - in general, good kids who when in a store or at
Disneyland or at church will pull off some of the most amazing acts of
meltdown you have ever witnessed.  Just because you have some anecdotal
evidence of children's behavior at Wal-Mart (not the best cross-section of
society in my book) does not mean that parents, as a whole, are doing a bad
job.  The woman you used as an example may have chosen not to spank or
otherwise punish her child in the middle of the store - she may have taken
him to the car and dealt with him there.  This is likely what I would have
done.

I think the worst generation of parents in recent times were of my parents
era (first children born in the mid-60's and raising children through the
70's).  They have wrought the 20-somethings and 30-somethings that spew most
of the garbage we deal with today - "young skulls full of mush" as Rush
calls them.  My parents were of the first generation when divorce became an
epidemic and when the religious foundations of our society began to fall
apart.  I think we actually have a better generation of parents now than the
prior one, and the problems we do have are founded in part in the lousy
example that was shown the current crop by their parents.

Dan Bobke