What do you say now?

Rob Loach deloges at ATT.NET
Mon May 20 17:40:18 MDT 2002

Stephen A. Frye wrote on Mon, 20 May 2002 at 08:56:08

> >I firmly believe that for *many*, the reason they aren't leaving is that
> >they've been told that salvation through Christ is unavailable outside of
> >the church.
>
>That's crap.  The Catholic church abandoned that ridiculous philosophy
>decades ago.

Not so, Stephen! Here is a direct quotation (#846) from the latest
Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church (1992):

846. "Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that
the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one
Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his
body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of
faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of
the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they
could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as
necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to
remain in it."

Stephen, you tell me what that says if it doesn't say that salvation
through Christ is unavailable outside of the church. The church has indeed
**NOT** "abandoned that ridiculous philosophy decades ago" no matter who
would say otherwise! The article 846 quoted above is directly from the
latest catechism, only one decade old. That is the church's own doctrinal
statement.

Rob Loach in Greenville SC
deloges at att.net  <mailto:deloges at att.net>
Please visit  http://ivman.inJesus.com