Ain't It High Time????

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Sat Apr 12 17:51:28 MDT 2003

         U.S.  Navy Capt. Ouimette is the XO of NAS, Pensacola. Here is a
copy of the speech he gave last month. It is a wonderful and accurate
account of why we are in trouble today.

AMERICA WAKE UP!

         That's what we think we heard on the 11th of September 2001 and
maybe it was, but I think it should have been "Get Out of Bed!" In fact, I
think the alarm clock has been buzzing since 1979 and we have continued to
hit the snooze button and roll over for a few more minutes of peaceful
sleep since then.

         It was a cool fall day in November 1979 in a country going through
a religious and political upheaval when a group of Iranian students
attacked and seized the American Embassy in Tehran. This seizure was an
outright attack on American soil; it was an attack that held the world's
most powerful country hostage and paralyzed a Presidency. The attack on
this sovereign US embassy set the stage for the events to follow for the
next 23 years. America was still reeling from the aftermath of the Viet Nam
experience and had a serious threat from the Soviet Union when then,
President Carter, had to do something. He chose to conduct a clandestine
raid in the desert. The ill-fated mission ended in ruin, but stood as a
symbol of America's inability to deal with terrorism.

         America's military had been decimated and downsized / right sized
since the end of the Viet Nam war. A poorly trained, poorly equipped and
poorly organized military was called on to execute a complex mission that
was doomed from the start. Shortly after the Tehran experience, Americans
began to be kidnapped and killed throughout the Middle East. America could
do little to protect her citizens living and working abroad. The attacks
against US soil continued. In April of 1983 a large vehicle packed with
high explosives was driven into the US Embassy compound in Beirut. When it
explodes, it kills 63 people. The alarm went off again and America hit the
Snooze Button once more.

         Then just six short months later a large truck heavily laden down
with over 2500 pounds of TNT smashed through the main gate of the US Marine
Corps headquarters in Beirut. 241 US servicemen are killed. America mourns
her dead and hit the Snooze Button once more. Two months later in December
1983, another truck loaded with explosives is driven into the US Embassy in
Kuwait, and America continues her slumber. The following year, in September
1984, another van was driven into the gates of the US Embassy in Beirut and
America slept. Soon the terrorism spreads to Europe. In April 1985 a bomb
explodes in a restaurant frequented by US soldiers in Madrid.

         Then in August a Volkswagen loaded with explosives is driven into
the main gate of the US Air Force Base at Rhein-Main, 22 are killed and the
Snooze Alarm is buzzing louder and louder as US soil is continually
attacked. Fifty-nine days later a cruise ship, the Achille Lauro is
hijacked and we watched as an American in a wheelchair is singled out of
the passenger list and executed.

         The terrorists then shift their tactics to bombing civilian
airliners when they bomb TWA Flight 840 in April of 1986 that killed 4 and
the most tragic bombing, Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in
1988, killing 259. America wants to treat these terrorist acts as crimes;
in fact we are still trying to bring these people to trial. These are acts
of war. The Wake Up alarm is louder and louder.

         The terrorists decide to bring the fight to America. In January
1993, two CIA agents are shot and killed as they enter CIA headquarters in
Langley, Virginia. The following month, February 1993, a group of
terrorists are arrested after a rented van packed with explosives is driven
into the underground parking garage of the World Trade Center in New York
City. Six people are killed and over 1000 are injured. Still this is a
crime and not an act of war? The Snooze alarm is depressed again.

         Then in November 1995 a car bomb explodes at a US military complex
in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia killing seven service men and women. A few months
later in June of 1996, another truck bomb explodes only 35 yards from the
US military compound in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. It destroys the Khobar
Towers, a US Air Force barracks, killing 19 and injuring over 500. The
terrorists are getting braver and smarter as they see that America does not
respond decisively.

         They move to coordinate their attacks in a simultaneous attack on
two US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. These attacks were planned with
precision. They kill 224. America responds with cruise missile attacks and
goes back to sleep. The USS Cole was docked in the port of Aden, Yemen for
refueling on 12 October 2000, when a small craft pulled along side the ship
and exploded killing 17 US Navy Sailors. Attacking a US War Ship is an act
of war, but we sent the FBI to investigate the crime and went back to sleep.

         And of course you know the events of 11 September 2001. Most
Americans think this was the first attack against US soil or in America.
How wrong they are. America has been under a constant attack since 1979 and
we chose to hit the snooze alarm and roll over and go back to sleep. In the
news lately we have seen lots of finger pointing from every high official
in government over what they knew and what they didn't know.

         But if you've read the papers and paid a little attention I think
you can see exactly what they knew. You don't have to be in the FBI or CIA
or on the National Security Council to see the pattern that has been
developing since 1979. The President is right on when he says we are
engaged in a war. I think we have been in a war for the past 23 years and
it will continue until we as a people decide enough is enough.

         America has to "Get out of Bed" and act decisively now. America
has changed forever. We have to be ready to pay the price and make the
sacrifice to ensure our way of life continues. We cannot afford to hit the
Snooze Button again and roll over and go back to sleep. We have to make the
terrorists know that in the words of Admiral Yamamoto after the attack on
Pearl Harbor "that all they have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

Thank you very much.