"We Had No Choice" - CNN

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Apr 14 06:16:53 MDT 2003

The News We Kept to Ourselves

By EASON JORDAN

eef149.jpgTLANTA Over the last dozen years I made 13 trips to Baghdad to
lobby the government to keep CNN's Baghdad bureau open and to arrange
interviews with Iraqi leaders. Each time I visited, I became more
distressed by what I saw and heard awful things that could not be reported
because doing so would have jeopardized the lives of Iraqis, particularly
those on our Baghdad staff.

For example, in the mid-1990's one of our Iraqi cameramen was abducted. For
weeks he was beaten and subjected to electroshock torture in the basement
of a secret police headquarters because he refused to confirm the
government's ludicrous suspicion that I was the Central Intelligence
Agency's Iraq station chief. CNN had been in Baghdad long enough to know
that telling the world about the torture of one of its employees would
almost certainly have gotten him killed and put his family and co-workers
at grave risk.

Working for a foreign news organization provided Iraqi citizens no
protection. The secret police terrorized Iraqis working for international
press services who were courageous enough to try to provide accurate
reporting. Some vanished, never to be heard from again. Others disappeared
and then surfaced later with whispered tales of being hauled off and
tortured in unimaginable ways. Obviously, other news organizations were in
the same bind we were when it came to reporting on their own workers.

We also had to worry that our reporting might endanger Iraqis not on our
payroll. I knew that CNN could not report that Saddam Hussein's eldest son,
Uday, told me in 1995 that he intended to assassinate two of his
brothers-in-law who had defected and also the man giving them asylum, King
Hussein of Jordan. If we had gone with the story, I was sure he would have
responded by killing the Iraqi translator who was the only other
participant in the meeting. After all, secret police thugs brutalized even
senior officials of the Information Ministry, just to keep them in line
(one such official has long been missing all his fingernails).

Still, I felt I had a moral obligation to warn Jordan's monarch, and I did
so the next day. King Hussein dismissed the threat as a madman's rant. A
few months later Uday lured the brothers-in-law back to Baghdad; they were
soon killed.

I came to know several Iraqi officials well enough that they confided in me
that Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed. One Foreign
Ministry officer told me of a colleague who, finding out his brother had
been executed by the regime, was forced, as a test of loyalty, to write a
letter of congratulations on the act to Saddam Hussein. An aide to Uday
once told me why he had no front teeth: henchmen had ripped them out with
pliers and told him never to wear dentures, so he would always remember the
price to be paid for upsetting his boss. Again, we could not broadcast
anything these men said to us.

Last December, when I told Information Minister Muhammad Said al-Sahhaf
that we intended to send reporters to Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq, he
warned me they would "suffer the severest possible consequences." CNN went
ahead, and in March, Kurdish officials presented us with evidence that they
had thwarted an armed attack on our quarters in Erbil. This included
videotaped confessions of two men identifying themselves as Iraqi
intelligence agents who said their bosses in Baghdad told them the hotel
actually housed C.I.A. and Israeli agents. The Kurds offered to let us
interview the suspects on camera, but we refused, for fear of endangering
our staff in Baghdad.

Then there were the events that were not unreported but that nonetheless
still haunt me. A 31-year-old Kuwaiti woman, Asrar Qabandi, was captured by
Iraqi secret police occupying her country in 1990 for "crimes," one of
which included speaking with CNN on the phone. They beat her daily for two
months, forcing her father to watch. In January 1991, on the eve of the
American-led offensive, they smashed her skull and tore her body apart limb
by limb. A plastic bag containing her body parts was left on the doorstep
of her family's home.

I felt awful having these stories bottled up inside me. Now that Saddam
Hussein's regime is gone, I suspect we will hear many, many more
gut-wrenching tales from Iraqis about the decades of torment. At last,
these stories can be told freely.

Eason Jordan is chief news executive at CNN.