And They Put Him On Mt. Rushmore?!?!?

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Wed Apr 16 20:36:57 MDT 2003

THE HIGH COST OF LIVING

         Back in the depression era, FDR claimed that he could get the
nation's economy moving again if only he had extended powers over farming,
business and industry, like his buddy Stalin had. To that end, the
Roosevelt administration designed a complete regulatory bureaucracy, with
each agency to be controlled by little politburos and the politburos, in
turn, overseen by a dictator in the White House.

         The problem was, the whole scheme was totally and completely
unconstitutional and the U.S. Supreme Court told the administration exactly
that. So, FDR attacked the U.S. Supreme Court, threatening court packing
and other unheard of arrangements to mitigate the Court's checks and balances.

         Ultimately, Roosevelt won. Our Constitution suffered and the
federal government has never been a Constitutional government since. Today,
there are at least 113 federal regulatory agencies passing laws they call
-- with a wink and a nod -- rules and regulations. These rules and
regulations affect everything the American people do and their hidden costs
(hidden tax) are more expensive to most taxpayers than all other federal
taxes combined.

         For instance, according to the Cato Institute in a report by Clyde
Wayne Crews, Jr. titled, "Ten Thousand Commandments: An Annual Snapshot of
the Federal Regulatory State," federal regulations cost the American people
about $854-billion annually.(1) That amounts to a hidden tax of 8.4% of the
U.S. gross national product annually. Put another way, the cost amounts to
an average hidden tax bill of, on average, $7,490 per American taxpayer
annually.

         Every new federal regulation costs us more money. Congress is
being a little more careful about staying out of the tax and spend mode
lately, so the task is performed stealthily. Instead of funding a program
on the budget, Congress simply requires state and local governments, or
industry, to do it. Nevertheless, we get the bill, just as if it were a
direct tax.

         Regulatory agencies, of course, are totally unaccountable to
voters. It shows, too. In the fiscal 2001 year, congress passed 108 bills
that were signed into law. The regulatory agencies, however, wrote 4,132
rules (laws) that were inflicted on the American people. This is, of
course, taxation without representation. Worse yet, it is also government
without representation.

         Think about that last remark: "government without representation."
Not one of us, or even our representatives in government, voted for even
one of the many thousands of rule-making bureaucrats. Not even one. The
very first sentence of the body of our Constitution implies that Congress
shall make all law. Yet, there is a lawmaking ratio between the regulatory
agencies and Congress of nearly forty to one!

         So, when we ask where the inflation is coming from, we should look
directly to government. The federal regulatory bureaucracy has written many
controlling regulations for every product sold. Which means, every product
sold in the United States costs the consumer more money because of these
busy-body regulation rangers in the unconstitutional regulatory agencies.
Congress knows this. But, evidently, they just do not care.

         As Cato reports: In 1998, the median two-earner family's after-tax
income of $41,846 contained $7,410 in hidden regulatory costs -- thus
eating up about 18 percent of the after-tax family budget. That equates to
a lot more every year than most people pay out in house payments and food
combined. Here in the United States, the regulatory costs alone are more
than the entire Gross Domestic Product of Mexico or Canada. Just the annual
budgets for these regulatory agencies cost taxpayers hundreds of billions
of dollars.

         So, when we look for the reason for the cost of living increase
(inflation) every year, look to Washington. Congress is the direct cause of
most of it because Congress allows the regulatory agencies to exist and
function autonomously. It is time that unconstitutional scam ended.
1.  http://www.cato.org/tech/pubs/10kc_2002.pdf