They Nailed It!

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Wed Apr 30 19:54:40 MDT 2003

At 01:37 AM 4/28/2003 -0700, Jim Nantz wrote:

>At 04:34 PM 4/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>Very Interesting.  Didn't we have a president who was an actor?
>
>Some say he wasn't a very good actor.

         I would tend to disagree. I liked The "Grover Cleveland Alexander
Story" (also known as "The Winning Team", from 1952) and I'd routinely tune
in for "Death Valley Days", which Reagan hosted. His final role was in a
1964 re-make of the 1946 classic, "The Killers", based on a Hemingway novel
and featured an all-star cast that included Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes,
Angie Dickinson, and singer/actor, Claude Akins. That was a very good
flick. He also appeared in "Prisoner of War" (1954), "The Hasty Heart"
(1949), "The Bad Man" (1941), and his most famous role was portraying
"George (The Gipper) Gipp" in "<http://us.imdb.com/Title?0032676>Knute
Rockne, All American" (1940). In addition to these and other roles from
that era, Reagan continued to appear in films upon leaving the White House,
appearing as himself in archival form.

>However this is not a bad thing. Actors make good DemocRATS because they
>like the idea of people being told what to do and how to do it, right down
>to what to say and how to say it.

         Don't mention that around the likes of Bruce Willis, Arnold
Schwartzenegger, Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood. Eastwood is a rabid
Libertarian. The others are rabid Republicans.

>On the other hand President Reagan liked the idea of people running their
>own lives rather than making every decision by appealing to someone no
>smarter and no more capable than the guy next door.

         As does Eastwood...............

>Ronald Reagan believed we are better able to decide how our money would be
>best spent to better our lives and our communities than some drone sitting
>behind a desk in Washington. Ronald Reagan had a streak of independence in
>him that seems to be lacking in the so called good actors in Hollywood. If
>he was a bad actor, this is probably why.

         Again, Reagan's skills stand up very well against light-weights
like Tim Robbins (heck, I'm better than Robbins, for petesake!), Ed Asner,
Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Matt Dillon and so forth.

John Q.