I wonder

Rob Loach deloges at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 2 04:45:29 MST 2003

At 11:44 AM 2/1/03, you wrote:

>I wonder if the ragheads are dancing in the streets today.

Jim, I heard Tom Brokenjaw report that Iraq is saying this disaster was
retribution, and they were glad it happened.

I wonder if the doves/peaceniks will see this as Iraqi evil, or if they'll
just agree with Iraq on this one....

Here's an article from reuters.com:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=BJKKZDZVFUFBACRBAELCFEY?type=worldNews&storyID=2152926

Iraqis Call Shuttle Disaster God's Vengeance
Sat February 1, 2003 03:24 PM ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Immediate popular reaction in Baghdad on Saturday to
the loss of the U.S. space shuttle Columbia and its seven-member crew --
including the first Israeli in space -- was that it was God's retribution.

"We are happy that it broke up," government employee Abdul Jabbar
al-Quraishi said.

"God wants to show that his might is greater than the Americans. They have
encroached on our country. God is avenging us," he said.

Iraqis are braced for a possible U.S.-led war to rid their country of any
chemical, biological or nuclear weapons it may possess. Iraq denies it has
such weapons.

Car mechanic Mohammed Jaber al-Tamini noted Israeli air force Colonel Ilan
Ramon was among the dead when the shuttle broke up over the southwestern
United States 16 minutes before its scheduled landing.

The 48-year-old Israeli astronaut was a fighter pilot in the Israeli air
force. He was the youngest pilot in a team that bombed Iraq's nuclear
reactor in 1981. Israel said the reactor was intended to develop nuclear
weapons.

"Israel launched an aggression on us when it raided our nuclear reactor
without any reason, now time has come and God has retaliated to their
aggression," Tamini said.

There were no such signs of jubilation over the shuttle disaster in any of
the Palestinian territories. The official response from the Palestinians
was one of condolence.

"President (Yasser) Arafat and the Palestinian Authority offer their
condolences to the six American families and the Israeli family who lost
their loved ones in the catastrophe," Saeb Erekat, a senior Palestinian
official and spokesman, told Reuters.

Erekat said Arafat had sent President Bush a message of condolences over
the loss of the NASA space agency's shuttle. The United States, Israel's
closest ally, is the chief Middle East peace broker.